The role of insects in Human Evolution

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:39 am
Hiyas Smile I am trying to find a good visual tuturial on what role insects played in human evolution? I mean at one time we walked around without any shoes. So our foot directly touched a Living Floor. Also before we also had insects directly transfering Genes. Like lice ticks mosquitoes. I mean its Obvios we were alot more interconected with a Living World before. Any good references for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 11
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:41 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The basic non-evolution of modern man:

http://able2know.org/topic/166283-1

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:46 am
Not tooo sure about insects role in evolution but I wouldnt mind betting that insects will play a major role in food production in the not too distant future.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:02 am
@dadpad,
Theres an old but still good resource book by Margulis called "CApturing Genomes". Its discussion of the very topic you bring up. WHile Lynn Margulis focuses on the capture and transfer of genomes at the microroganismal level, she also comments of the roels played by direct and chance encounters between macroorganisms.
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:50 am
@farmerman,
As an assist, here's a link to her bio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Margulis
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 01:22 pm
Hiyas Thank You for the replys Smile But keep in mind. Who I am lol. I got about 2 paragraphs and had to stop to have a mind discution Smile Is there a visual Tutorial anywhere?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 12:31 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Yes Im having the same trouble. I cant find one euther. From What I could gather it sounds like her work is about the same thung Im searching for though. But more like is there a direct conection from walking in a tropical forest to having insectcs and life directly transfer DNA thru diferent means. I know we shed nonstop and somethiing eats our shed skin. Evreything we did we were interconected in a greater Web of life. Does that make any sense?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 12:56 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 02:47 am
@laughoutlood,
Hmm yes that was a excellent lesson on genes I watched all 7 parts Thank You. But you know what I Mean what I am looking for is more like. Alot of bio life adapeted to us like lice and things that eat dead skin and such. Something more in the area is there an actual transfer or anything connecting the evolvement Of our species. Like you get imunities from being exposed to disease right? so that would be one example, Does that makes sense? Things that changed us to the DNA basic level I mean after all all life is related if you go back far enough right? so in that sesnse we do carry at least some of the same information.
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 03:52 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
yeah

but i doubt there is a youtube on it

reading may be the only way

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 03:59 am
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, pjc, the gene for sickle cell anemia, which can be life-endangering in humans occurs in a significant part of the population of Africa and other countries where mosquito-borne malaria is prevalent because in humans it disrupts the life cycle of the malaria parasite when a mosquito bites someone and injects the parasite, and malaria is worse, so sickle cell anemia confers an adaptive advantage. In places with low incidence of malaria, on the other hand, like the US, the anemia is a disadvantage. The biologist David Suzuki once said there are something like a dozen different genetic adaptions that humans have developed over time to resist malaria. Insects have in a sense driven those adaptations.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 03:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hmm yes I suppose. Like if we put 1 million 'labhumans' (like a labrat) in an eviroment in a tropical forest with all its inhabitants, And we put 1millon in a sterile inviroment. Observed over 100 life cycles. Would the dna and inmune systems or anyother things be effected in the A group over the B group. Guess if I put it that way would it make more sense?
0 Replies