what is the most delicious food in USA?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:26 am
@Setanta,
I had some amazing poutine at some lawyery shindig a couple of years back. Yukon gold fingerling potatoes, chunky duck gravy and a choice of curds from about 5 types of fancy dancy cheese. that stuff was fabuuuulous.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:31 am
@ehBeth,
whats donair? Ive seen it advertised but never tried it for fear that itd not be to my liking (Im only adventurous with Canadian seafoods and desserts)
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:48 am
That Andalusian poutine (or whatever they called it) at the restaurant Monday was good stuff, but it weren't no poutine. However, i do like the idea of adding chorizo to poutine . . .
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:20 am
@Setanta,
sounds like a Canajun version of SOS
wayne

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Smallies and largemouth, my local fishing hole has some 8 & 9 lb bucket mouths, I've gotta drive 70 miles for the smallies though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
@wayne,
It's nice that we can still talk about "delicious food in the USA" when so many families are struggling to put food on the table. There's an interesting article in today's San Jose Mercury News about the families struggling in Silicon Valley because of the higher cost of food and fuel. Local food banks are struggling to feed all the families that come for assistance. Parents are eating less to feed their children.

The GOP wants to destroy the middle class, and destroying labor unions. I hope they are proud of what they are doing to Americans.

Why are we spending so much on defense, when our own country folks are starving? Aren't we supposed to help security of our own citizens?

The feds will spend more than $94 billion in interest payments, and the national debt keeps increasing.

Goodbye America!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:09 am
@farmerman,
donair is a Maritime variant of gyros - beef instead of lamb - a somewhat sweet garlic sauce instead of tzatziki
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:11 am
@farmerman,
nahhhh

you don't find too much what I'd call Brit/American food around here (Toronto) - too much other multicultural food happening

the place we went with Mame and joeblow had a fairly strong Portuguese/Spanish influence on the menu - delicious stuff
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not that our government isn't screwing up, but, the consumer can't escape the blame for our present situation. The national debt is a direct reflection on the lives of most Americans. I don't really have a lot of sympathy for the folks who have been living beyond thier means for so long. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Delicious food, is relative. I remember a canoe trip with friends, years ago, by the last day food was running low. I had a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in my cooler. I could've got $100 apiece for them at that point. They were the most delicious food any of us had ever eaten.

I've seen plenty of hard times in my life. I practically lived on ramen noodles before. Everyone keeps complaining about the wealthy taking from them, but the truth is, no one is taking - they are giving it to them. Americans have become extreme consumers.
Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:45 pm
We don't have gyro's in W. Canada, it's all donairs or shawarma. Just another name for a rose...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:27 pm
@wayne,
I agree with you up to a certain point; but it's also all levels of government that doesn't know how to live within its means. Most state and local governments are also running huge deficits, and rather than cut unnecessary expenditures, they keep projecting unrealistic revenue numbers to justify their spending.

As for your peanut butter and jelly story, I used to enjoy putting sugar on plain bread when we were kids, because we were too poor to buy candy.

Also, did you know that ramen was invented by a Japanese man who was born in Taiwan, and moved to Japan after WWII? After months of trial and error, Mr Ando created the first instant noodles on August 25, 1958.

It's popular all around the world today.
Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ironically, the best food has always been peasant food. Poor cuts of meat slow cooked and the like, most of the restaurants ehBeth alluded to came from just that, those sources have been the inspiration for great recipes for ever and a day.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:53 pm
@Ceili,
Lobster and clams aside, the best meat in US is PORK RIBS, Not those pussy "Bqaby Bqck Ribs " or the "Cqnqdin Bqck Ribs" . They are actually too lean for a good smoke treatment. Most restaurant cooks (and I understand the bb1 chains do it this way,) will first boil the ribs for about 15 minutes before putting on a grill. Its quicker,but the taste is just too bland and the meat not finished.

Give me SPare ribs or ST louis ribs any day. Slow smoked and slathered with a nice Piedmont vinegar or Memphis sweet sauce
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 11:33 pm
@liqiong1,
fat
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 03:36 am
@Ceili,
Ooooo . . . i love shawarma too! There's this hole in the wall Lebanese shawarma place not far from where the concerts we often attend are held. It's always packed on the evenings we go there.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 04:14 am
Does this include drinks? What I miss the most in the USA is: iced tea. There is nothing more refreshing than good, brewed iced tea.

I also miss cornbread.
And banana pudding.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 06:22 am
@aidan,
A question for the Canadians standing around the water cooler. What is a traditional FULL Canadiqn dinner? What would it consist of?
I think the rules are that this must be a dish that is created or majority adapted and modified so that its "roots" arent noticeab;le as being a transplant. I would propose the taco in US, While its been fucked with in orer to make it fast food friendly, it still retains the transplant structure. SO a taco, in otherwords, doesnt qualify as a US cuisine element.

I would submit that Ceain Groppe is a Canadian cuisine element. Its a codhead soup in which the codhead is eaten like chicken wings. Cheeks, eyeballs, brains , and everything. However, since Ceain Groppe isnt that well known outside a few areas in the maritimes, its not a traditional national dish.

Just curious.

NO TIM HORTON MAPLE SUGAR GLAZED DONUTE either.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:06 am
I think I'd have to disagree with you on the taco, fm, considering that it's at its root, corn tortilla and beans, which is kind of the northern extension (Texas, largely) of traditional cooking in the Americas, dating back to the domestication of corn and beans something like four thousand years. It's probably the MOST American cuisine, more American than any Johnny-come-lately European-influenced stuff. Tho chicken or beef are obviously later editions to it, but don't, I think, change its original character.

For New England, I'd say the clambake (also probably a couple thousand years old), clam and fish chowder, Indian pudding, and the New England Boiled Dinner.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:14 am
@MontereyJack,
My differentiation was between US and CANADIAN. Im seeking a traditional CANADIAN dish or meal.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:19 am
@farmerman,
Butter tarts are Canadian.

There are debates about what makes a perfect butter tart, but they are Canadian to their gooey centres.