Message to Butrflynet

JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
@Ragman,
From your profile:

"Lived in Boston area for 48 out of 60 years. Moved from Boston to s/w CT and lived there for 4 years. Moved to capitol region (Albany) NY around Dec '02, but in their snowiest winter in 50 years. "

Sound familiar?
Ragman

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
Once again, you demonstrate your obtuseness as your point is unclear. I know my own age and so do many others here, so why state the obvious? I'm very pleased to have made it to 60, so your attempts to insult is wasted. The fact you have no respect for people older than you, shows your lack of wisdom and upbringing. But we all knew that.

Snowy winters...gee now...??

Perhaps if you type it in ALL CAPS it'll be clearer.

Here's a useful link that speaks to your efforts:

JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:51 pm
@Ragman,
1- I don't use ebonics
2-I am TOO OLD to talk like that

GOODBYE- I got something to do.
Ragman

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
Once again, as is plain to even the casual reader here, you write things that aren't connected at all. Ebonics? Where did I suggest that either you did or I did? You post total nonsense. And you do so, night and day.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:58 pm
I can see why people want to criticise me or poke at me- they don't think I act normal. SCREW THEM.
Ragman

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
There 'ya go. Stick to your beliefs.
JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:14 pm
@Ragman,
BYE SIR- I AM DONE.
Ragman

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, you are!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:10 pm
JGoldman, you've spent six years NOT creating a Christian comic but just talking about producing one. You'd better get off your butt and DO it, because others have been making them while you've been doing "research". Ain't gonna be any market left if you don't get to work. Google "online Christian comics" to see what others are making--and there are a LOT of them. Stop worrying about copyright--that's what the internet is all about--you do it and put it up and promote it and if people like it and it goes viral, you can get sponsors and make some money on it. Annoying Orange made it and it's free, even if you don't like it it's a success. Most of the big online hits started out free video/audio, and spread from that. GET TO WORK. PUT WHAT YOU'VE GOT ONLINE NOW. OR DO SOMETHING QUICK AND DIRTY, JUST TO START GETTING STUFF OUT THERE.

TIME'S A-WASTING, AND PEOPLE ARE STEALING YOUR MARKET BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL TALK AND NO ACTION.
Ragman

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
Stop making sense:

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:15 pm
Sorry. I'll try to stop.
JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:41 pm
@MontereyJack,
SIGH- I have MORE than one comic book idea I am working on.

A multicultural comic book series about streetfighting cats and dogs and Christian superheroes and action heroes are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

I have been talking about going BACK to SCHOOL and figuring out my options as to what I can do to pursue more art training but I CAN'T GO BACK or EVEN GET A DEGREE ONLINE IF I HAVE DEFAULT AND/OR ISSUES WITH STUDENT LOANS.

What do you mean, "quick and dirty"? You mean Rule 34 stuff? Hentai? NOT DOING THAT.
JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
Just because I am reclusive doesn't mean I don't know what's going on in the world or online- I know what Rule 34 is and I know what hentai is.

I recall years ago a young man I worked with tried to encourage me to make "Looney sex (Looney Tunes having sex with each other)- I told him I am not doing that- and the little jackass heathen said that "I must not be interested in making money." I was an art school student at the time- I ignored the UNCIRCUMCIZED PHILISTINE.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

I have been talking about going BACK to SCHOOL and figuring out my options as to what I can do to pursue more art training but I CAN'T GO BACK or EVEN GET A DEGREE ONLINE IF I HAVE DEFAULT AND/OR ISSUES WITH STUDENT LOANS.

Then, instead of wasting time on the internet for over 7 years, you should have been working to earn money to pay off those loans. Not just at one job, but a second job if necessary. Those loans helped to finance your education, and it's your responsibility to pay them back--otherwise it's stealing. Don't you follow the commandment not to steal, or do you just conveniently by-pass that one?

Truthfully, I think you should forget about going back to school. You show so little evidence of having learned anything the first time around, I find it extremely hard to believe you are a college graduate. And, for someone who claims to be an artist you display a staggering lack of creativity in your ideas and thinking. You ask questions seeking the most basic kind of help--the names of books on how to draw cartoons, suggestions for plot ideas, what characters to use and how they should act, what makes a comic popular, etc.--suggesting you don't have an ounce of the creative ability that's necessary to actually put together a comic book, let alone a series of comic books. And, you expect some nitwit to actually bankroll this crazy idea for you and actually fund production of your comic book? Not in the real world. Your thinking is so unrealistic it borders on the delusional.

Other than as a way to proselytize your brand of the gospel, I can't even understand why creating comic books interests you. You've said that you've never even been an avid reader of comic books. So, you want to create and sell something in a medium that's never even appealed to you? Why, because you think it's an easy way to push the Bible and make a liitle money off God? One major problem that creators of Christian comics have, and they admit, is too avoid sounding "too preachy". That may be a hurdle you can't overcome JG, because you are knee-jerk "preachy" in the most blatant, and simplistic, and heavy handed way. And your secular ideas for comics, like the dog and cat streetfighting gangs, don't seem like the sort of thing that would really appeal to a kid, and certainly wouldn't likely compel an adolescent to shell out money to buy them. You don't seem to understand the audience you are trying to address, let alone offering something that could compete with all the other forms of animated cartoons, video games, and comics already available to readers and younger consumers.

If you can't afford to go back to school, forget about it, stop talking about it. If you can't pursue your comic book idea without further training, forget about it, stop talking about it. If you've got to do online "research" for 7 years, just to get ideas for your comic books, or "feedback" on those idea, without actually producing anything--even a completely scripted completed storyline for a single comic--you lack the ability, and the drive, to accomplish anything in this area. You just like to talk about doing things, but the actual hard work, and frustration, of actually producing something is apparently beyond you.

You allegedly got a degree in animation, then never actually worked in that field. If you get a degree in cartooning, I suspect you will never do anything with that either. In the real world, you have to work with other people, you have to be able to compromise--something you continually announce you cannot do. You have a fantasy that you can suddenly start at the top by creating and distributing your own comic book--well, as long as someone else foots the bill. You have no notion that one works at lesser jobs in a field, learns how to work on a team (aren't most comics produced by a team?), makes contacts, develops experience, all of which involves some social skills and mature ability to interact with others in an appropriate manner. You can't even interact appropriately on an internet forum board--which is why you have gotten booted off other sites--and doing it in real life, as part of a business team, is considerably more difficult.

All you want from people here is agreement, praise, and attention--constant attention. And you start getting very nasty and insulting and quite juvenile when you don't get those things. You throw your little tantrums, type in CAPS, wave the Bible around, throw in a few racially baiting comments, and then play the poor injured underdog. Well, you say you want feedback, JG, and I've been trying to give you some honest feedback. I'm not a pessimist, far from it. But, to encourage you to continue talking about doing something, particularly doing something that seems quite unrealistic, strikes me as absurd and also patronizing toward you--as though you are too fragile to handle the truth. You should stop talking and actually do something. If you have options available to you, then take them--now. But stop talking about what you want to do. We've heard it, we don't need to keep hearing it.

And, by the way, I don't know why you felt the need to get nasty about the information in ragman's profile, particularly his age. I'd like to point out to you he was able to create his profile all by himself, without having to start a thread, as you did, wondering why you didn't have a profile and asking how to create one. Seems to me that a person of normal intelligence, let alone one who claims to have an I.Q. of 170, should have realized he didn't have a profile because he didn't write one. Duh. And he should have tried clicking on the My Profile link that appears under My Account, just to see what info that provided, before posting a thread asking other people to explain it to him. There are limits to how much constant hand-holding adults should require, JG, and you're pushing the limits. Can't you do, or figure out, anything for yourself?

MontereyJack

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:38 pm
I have no idea what Rule 34 is- but what "quick and dirty" means is do it fast, don't care if it's pretty and polished and absolutely perfect, just GET SOMETHING OUT THERE. You can spend years rewriting, redrawing, polishing, trimming here, adding there, witing for just one more final touch. That's what you're doing. that's what the people who are making successes of themselves did NOT do. You don't do it perfect, you do it GOOD ENOUGH.
For god's sake, all you REALLY need is a pencil, a pad of paper, and a lettering pen. Ten bucks tops. You've probably got a multifunction printer with a scanner already. If not you can get one for under forty bucks. Fifty bucks and you're in business. YOU DON'T NEED SOMEONE TO GIVE YOU MONEY, NOT IN THE 21ST CENTURY ONLINE. If you stopped making 200 stupid posts a day on a2k, you'd have enough spare time to at lest draw a half page a day. A couple weeks and you've got a story. JUST SHUT UP, PICK UP A PENCIL, and DO IT.

You claim you're a chritian, remember GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES

You've been making excuses for years. GOD HATES THOSE WHO MAKE EXCUSES.
JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
You ARE NOT LISTENING. I am DRAWING and WORKING ON MY ART.

IT COSTS MONEY TO PRODUCE A COMIC BOOK.

YOU NEED MATERIAL AND RESOURCES.

One whole comic book is 22 pages. You have to SCRIPT IT. You have to DRAW IT UP. You have to INK IT. You have to COLOR IT.

INKING AND PRINTING and COPYING COSTS MONEY.

YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW MANY DIFFERENT BOOKS AND MANY COPIES OF EACH BOOK YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE AND SELL-THAT COSTS MONEY.

IT CAN COST ANYWHERE BETWEEN A FEW 100 TO A FEW 1000 DOLLARS TO DO- MONEY I DON'T HAVE RIGHT NOW.
MONEY FOR PRODUCTION AND MATERIALS. AND DISTRIBUTION.

I had a comic book creativity class I registered to take at a local art school-I tried to find out where my instructor got the money to make and distribute his comic books-he didn't know anything where to go to get grants and funding for his comics-I think he said he paid for it out of his pocket.
HE SAID IT WAS EXPENSIVE.

I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES-I AM BEING REALISTIC.
JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
I AM STILL RESEACHING INFO ON GRANTS AND OTER FUNDING. I NEED GRANTS OR SOME OTHER MONEY TO PAY FOR ALL OF THIS- NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD TO DO THIS ON THEIR OWN RIGHT NOW SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
I downloaded torrents of Quark, Flash, Photoshop and Illustrator- I am supposed to be learning these programs and RIGHT NOW I don't have the money to PAY FOR THEM.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:11 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
You ARE NOT LISTENING

No, JG, you're the one who isn't listening. You're not even listening to yourself.

1. You don't have the money to go back to school.
If you have outstanding student loans, or you've defaulted on your loans, you can forget about getting financial aid for schooling. You're a deadbeat.

2. Without more training, you lack the skills to create a comic book.

3. So, why are you even talking about producing, distributing, and selling a comic book, since the comic book doesn't exist, and is unlikely to exist unless steps #1 and #2 are somehow accomplished. And, even then, you can't afford to produce the comic book, because you lack the money to do it.
Why should someone give you a grant or funding? Because you seem so promising? Because you have a track record of accomplishment? Because society needs, and would benefit from, your comic book? Because it's such a good investment prospect?
No one in their right mind would give you a loan--you're a lousy credit risk, a deadbeat.
When that art instructor told you he didn't know where to get grants or funding for a comic book, didn't it dawn on you that there might be no such resources available, that they might not even exist?
Quote:
I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES-I AM BEING REALISTIC.

If you were really being realistic you would forget the whole idea of creating a comic book for the time being and instead focus on your most immediate need--earning money. Earning, as in working for it--working at as many jobs as you can cram into a 24 hour day. That would likely involve giving up the time you now spend posting online, or looking for programs to download, or looking for grants and funding. You don't need to go online and ask questions, and look for suggestions, and get feedback, and do all the BS things you consider "research"--you need to get off your butt and earn more money by doing extra jobs, any jobs, that will pay you something. Stop whining about needing a handout. Go earn more money. And yes, there are jobs around--you just can't afford to be fussy about what you'd take.

And, when you've saved up money, then you can think about going back to school.
But, once in school you'll have to keep working extra jobs, and saving, because it is likely that, once you finally learn how to make your comic book, you will have to self publish and distribute it and finance it yourself. And, since it is unlikely to see a profit, you'll have to continue working several jobs if you even want to put out other issues.

That's being realistic, JG, everything else you're saying is pure BS.

Comic books are not get rich quick schemes. You want to go into business, you have to be able to finance your business. You can't expect anyone to bankroll you--you're a poor business prospect and a lousy credit risk, and your ideas hardly qualify as a significant cultural contribution to the arts. And, at the moment, you can't even afford to go back to school to learn how to draw the cartoons that would make up the comic book.

If this is your idea of being realistic, you are seriously out of touch with reality.

Why don't you reconsider animation and see if you can get some sort of job in that field. That would be some sort of start as an artist, and it might actually be within the realm of possibility for you to obtain. You could still study cartooning, but at least you'd actually be functioning in some artistic capacity and getting experience.

But you need to stop talking about doing things, stop spending time online, and start earning more money. That should be your first priority because that will make other things possible,

JGoldman10

Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:15 pm
@firefly,
THIS IS WHY I HAVE PESSIMISTIC, NEGATIVE-MINDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU ON IGNORE.