[NON-US EDITION]What films best describe the spirit of your country? [NON-US EDITION]

fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:56 am
Interesting.
If you ask me, from way over here in Mexico, about typical Australian films, I'd go for the typical:
Outback (1971) , AKA Wake in Fright
Walkabout (1971)
The Plumber (1979)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm
@saab,
Here's what appears to be a good film about Swedes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gQKRF9aJ0

saab

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@gungasnake,
The Battle by Poltava was 1709, 300 years ago. So I would not say it really describes the Swedes.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
@wandeljw,
My favourite line from Breaker Morant....."we used rule 303.."
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm
@Irishk,
My favourite dialogue from The Dish ....

".....he knows everything about Apollo 11...."
"Does he know where it is ?"
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
Rang De Basanti comes to mind, though I'm sure there are many others that "describe the spirit of India."

Someone mentioned Slumdog Millionaire, but I must say I have to disagree. It's a very one-dimensional portrayal of the country, and the movie is highly detested here. To a Westerner, it might seem like something very enlightening, but it is not. It is based on a Mumbai-based crime racket, that's it. It does not define the country.

And we can't understand why Rehman was handed an Academy Award for that one - he's done much better in other movies!

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:51 pm
@spidergal,
Quote:
It does not define the country.
No one movie can do that...but if it accurately portrays one part, and you stick lots of movies together, then you are better informed than if you had of watched Star Trek .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:12 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

And we can't understand why Rehman was handed an Academy Award for that one - he's done much better in other movies!

On one hand I agree with the sentiment that Rehman didn't deserve the Oscar that year but on the other hand, the statement is a bit naive considering it's obvious that most of his movies he worked for probably never qualify for the Oscars due to their need to be at least have a limited theatrical run in both NYC and Los Angeles.

He deserved to win more for the score of 127 Hours then for Slumdog Millionaire. But then again, this year's crop of scores was better and more difficult to overcome then the 2009 Oscar season.
spidergal

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 01:25 am
@tsarstepan,
YOu are right. And yes, we know movies need a theatrical run the US to be eligible for nomination, but we just can't stop whining about it. It's a very nationalist sort of issue over here.
0 Replies