Which group performs Besame Mucho in Great Expectations'98?

Borea

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 09:42 am
IMDB and some other sources state that the short performance of the song "Besame Mucho" in this movie belongs to the group The Coasters. This song is heard 21 minutes from the beginning of the movie, when the old woman is dancing with the little boy.

Obviously, this performance has no relation with the old (1960) recordings of "Besame Mucho" by The Coasters. This song is not included in the Soundtrack album of that movie. Nor it exists in any of the newer The Coasters albums.

Can any expert confirm that that group is really The Coasters. Does this song exist anywhere, in any commercially available CD?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,045 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 10:06 am
@Borea,

Two other performers sang in the movie as seen here:

Great expectations
Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 11:20 am
@Borea,
I'm not sure what you looked up on IMDB, but there are several credited none of which in that movie belong to The Coasters.

In the soundtrack listing on IMDB for that movie, this is what I see:

"Bésame Mucho"
Written by Consuelo Velázquez
Performed by Ray Conniff (as Ray Coniff Jr.)
Courtesy of Columbia Records
by arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

"Bésame Mucho"
Performed by Pedro Vargas
Courtesy of BMG U.S. Latin

"Bésame Mucho"
Performed by Steve Lawrence (as Steve) and Eydie Gormé (as Eydie)
Courtesy of MCA Records
by arrangement with Universal Music Special Markets
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:11 pm
@Francis,
Here's the version by Ray Conniff:

and the one by Pedro Vargas

0 Replies

Borea

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 08:47 am
@Ragman,
It's been a long time since I posted this question, but I have not found the answer yet. I's a mystery. I even have got in touch with the current "The Coasters" management and they claimed they did not have any relation with that piece of music.

However, it exists at that moment of the movie as I described earlier. Check the above mentioned http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119223/soundtrack link. The 13th item seems to belong to "The Coasters".

"Bésame Mucho"
Performed by The Coasters
Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp.
by arrangement with Warner Special Products
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 12:39 pm
@Borea,
Click here for the soundtrack available on Amazon.com. The last song in the list is the one you seek. It says the artist is Cesaria Evora and you can listen to a sample of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectations-Various-Artists-Soundtracks/dp/B000002JEP
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 12:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Do a Google search with this phrase:

Besame mucho by the coasters

You'll find numerous youtubes and other entries.

Borea

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the reply. But it is neither "C. Evora" nor "The Coasters". According to the linked The IMDB page it's "The Coasters", but it is definitely not The Coasters. That piece of music exists in the movie but not in the soundtrack album (!). That's the problem. There is a mysterious mistake somewhere. I have got The Coasters' (1960) version of Besame Mucho (parts 1 & 2) for many years. And, as I stated above, I double checked it through the current management of The Coasters. They denied it. I have collected about 300 versions of Besame Mucho so far, but have not got a clue about that version. I know every single Besame Mucho that exists on Youtube.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 05:19 pm
@Borea,
Why not go back to the IMDB page and find contact info for the director, producer or studio and ask them?
0 Replies

michelle-walrus

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:53 am
@Borea,
I know which song you try to find 'coz same in here. I'm looking for that song. It has a electro guitar intro and then old lady say Chickyboom... So far I couldn't find that song too. If you find it,please let me know.
0 Replies

michelle-walrus

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:56 am
@Borea,
I know which song are you talking about but no. I don't know either. All I know is the song has a great elektro intro and the old lady says chicky boom. If you find the song,let me know.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 08:58 pm
This is the version that comes to mind for me:

Like, back around 1960-61,while in Japan.
0 Replies

renarichie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 06:42 am
I too have chased this down the rabbit~hole, and my best assumption is that the version in question is by an unsigned band connected in some way with Mexican director Alphonso Cuarón. It has that 90s feel. I say unsigned since all fimmakers are required to detail all publishing info whenever a song is used and here its unlisted.
0 Replies