they say aspirin helps keep flowers alive longer..what happened?

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
I was doing an experiment and put 2 baby aspirin in one flower vase and plain water in the other. The aspirin flower died and the plain water flower is still living.So my question is, did the aspirin kill my flower?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,012 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:34 pm
@dancerdoll,
dancerdoll wrote:

I was doing an experiment and put 2 baby aspirin in one flower vase and plain water in the other. The aspirin flower died and the plain water flower is still living.So my question is, did the aspirin kill my flower?

These are cut flowers you are experimenting with, right?

The baby aspirin might have something in it for flavoring which might mess up your experiment.

Other than that, I would say that your experiment gives you the answer. Of course, as with most experiments, you need to do lots of repetition to get enough data to get around stray events like, say, having one "bad" (something wrong with it that caused it to wilt earlier than the other one) flower for some reason.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:08 am
@dancerdoll,
Either you can consider your hypothesis refuted or you can figure out what other variable determined flower life. It could be that one of your flowers was less healthy than the other to begin with. The idea above that the aspirin was contaminated with something bad for plants is another idea.
0 Replies