Rainsoft backflush timer is broken

GeorgeG

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:23 am
I have a Rainsoft whole house carbon filter with what is probably the "brass valve" system. It was installed in 2000. The timer and backwash function has been a problem for many years. Multiple repair trips with no permanent resolution.

I have been manually backwashing by connecting 24V power, turning the timer knob until the cams/plunger rotate to the correct position (multiple steps), disconnecting power to keep everything in the backwash position for the required time, reconnecting power and turning the knob to start the wheel rotations (multiple steps) and disconnecting the power at the correct resting position. It's been a pain in the arse, but at least it has worked and the time off from work and the service charges stopped.

Now the timer knob has frozen and won't turn. Can I pull the timer guts out and still turn the white cam wheels by hand to move the plunger(s) to still manually backwash?

Also, when it comes time to fix this permanently, what are my DIY "upgrade" options. I have read this entire post but I am not clear on the upgrade path (TC upgrade, Fleck timers, etc.).

Thanks,

George

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/68072-3
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,719 • Replies: 13
No top replies

rmh2o

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:35 pm
@GeorgeG,
The simple solution is to replace the timer assembly. You can take the head into their shop to have this done. That way they only charge a bench charge plus parts. There should always be a 30 day warranty on service calls also.
GeorgeG

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:40 am
@rmh2o,
Can I pull the timer guts out from the front and free up the white cam wheels and their shaft so that I can manually turn them? The unit is in a corner with the timer door facing a wall so it's hard to see/work on. Thanks,

George
rmh2o

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:39 pm
@GeorgeG,
I would just take the valve in. If you start tearing all that apart you may open a whole new can of worms.
RM
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:21 pm
Is the function of the valve simply:

2 plungers up equal normal operation
2 plungers down equals backflush

Thanks,

George
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 09:56 am
Is there a source for an exploded parts view of this timer?
rmh2o

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:27 pm
@GeorgeG,
Rainsoft protects their service manuals tightly. If you can post a picture of the valve here I may be able to point you in the right direction. If your valve has a CAM on top of the valve that controls the cycles it may be an Autotrol valve. Let me know.
RJ
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:28 am
I will get a picture as soon as I can and post it. In the meantime, it is a Rainsoft rfb 1054 c. The pipe inputs are brass and there are 2 plungers that travel vertically based on the rotation of 2 parallel white disks that are vertical, rotating together on a single horizontal shaft. The shafts are keyed into the faces of the rotating disks via a rectangular cap with a tab in the side that rides in a slot that runs around the disk face at various distances from the disk center. The timer motor is on the back of the shaft at the opposite end from the dial end..
rmh2o

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 09:37 am
@GeorgeG,
Let me know if this is your valve. http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/RFC.pdf
RJ
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 05:55 am
I have a picture. Can pics be posted on this forum or do i need to post a link to a hosting site?

BTW, the valve does have two white disks but only one vertical plunger.
rmh2o

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:08 am
@GeorgeG,
Go ahead and post your pic or link.
RJ
0 Replies

GeorgeG

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:39 pm
Here are some pictures:

http://www.bygeorgeproductions.com/Rainsoft.htm

Question: What is the purpose of the vertical plunger that travels up and down with white disk rotation vs. the brass gizmo at the front of the right disk set in the black rubber grommet that is pushed to the side by the rotating disk?

Thanks,

George
GeorgeG

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:21 am
I had the timer taken to the local Rainsoft dealer and he said that it really needs to be retired because it would most likely be intermittent long term. He also explained the valve function. The vertical plunger moves to reverse the water flow and the brass bent spring moves to the side to allow the water to exit through the drain hose. The fact that the drain valve turns on and off multiple times during one rotation is what confused me but that is simply due to the cams being multi-use. Only one drain position is needed for this whole house carbon function and that is when the reversing plunger is in the full down position.

The TC upgrade is a digital timer that goes in the same timer box as the old electro-mechanical one. You remove the nut in the box that retains the motor shaft, back the motor out with the shaft, replace one of the cams, push the motor and shaft back in and wire in the new timer. You retain the brass valve except for the one cam that gets swapped out.

I am going to tackle the upgrade this weekend.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:21 am
@GeorgeG,
GeorgeG wrote:

You have a 14 day 24V (Made for RS Intermatic) type control that probably needs a new index lever.

The plunger is the piston. It moves up and down and changes the flow of water through the control valve.
The rotating disk are cams that turn micro-switches on & off and open and close shut-off tabs, their rotation is controlled
by the up and down movement of the piston. The brass gizmo's in black rubber are the shut-off tabs for the drain and brine lines.

It sounds like your valve/controller needs to be refurbished... I can do this.
0 Replies