What value do you place on the significance of your life?

husker

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 08:07 pm
We in the Western World enjoy the greatest opportunity and
unequalled prosperity, we see a world as in Africa, Asia, and
South America that needs and wants health-care, food,
clothes, and freedom. Are we are lost in our own
self-absorption and self-indulgence. What is the significance
of your life? And what is the significance of your life to your
Family, Country, and World Community? At what level do
you have social responsibility?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 13
No top replies

husker

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
A lot - I was rather hoping a few folks might give it some thought and a post.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 04:03 pm
Hey, husker. The best that I can do at this point is to have social conscience.

politically-vote
economically-put money where it does the greatest good
Spiritually-keep in tune with my beliefs
Educationally-keep abreast of the present as it develops from the past
Emotionally-try and remain objective but do not bridle the passion nor fervor of what we feel so strongly.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 01:02 am
Letty wrote:
Hey, husker. The best that I can do at this point is to have social conscience.

politically-vote
economically-put money where it does the greatest good
Spiritually-keep in tune with my beliefs
Educationally-keep abreast of the present as it develops from the past
Emotionally-try and remain objective but do not bridle the passion nor fervor of what we feel so strongly.

You are thinking about it!
Thank You! :wink:
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:49 am
I think that the main mistake people make with caring about others, is thinking blindly with goodwill and not doing things which are the most effective and correct answers to a situation.

I think that to be an effective good-will-doer means not just donating time, thought, and energy to causes, but doing so in an effective way.

That said, when I come across the opportunity to be helpful in a way that is intelligent and effective, I do so. One of the best ways to do this is in my personal sphere - I try to improve myself and treat those I know and love with respect, give some money to organizations I feel are trustworthy and will make good use of my money. As my dad likes to say, the most surefire way to improve the world is to improve yourself.

As for Africa and other issues outside of my sphere, (hunger, disease, female circumcision, etc. are what I assume you are reffering to) I have less direct influence. I have an opinion, and I can use that opinion in certain situations which may influence it should they arise (for example, voting for someone who supports human rights or whatever cause, or giving them money if I trust their organization.)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:40 am
while my immediate glib response to your question would be:
"the most important";
upon a mite more sober thought i would suggest that a life is a statement, and the most one can hope to achieve, is to demonstrate to others how a life can, and perhaps, should, be lived.

As an aside, many people achieve this facet of 'living' by their choice of how they die; demonstrating in the most final way, what is, to them, worth giving up your life for.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
I tend my own garden.

I treat all people as I want to be treated.....until they cross me......then I give as good as I get....

I try to harm no one in any way.

I try to stick to my principles and beliefs even when it's to my advantage not to....

I try to pass some values on to my cubs....

I try not to take myelf too seriously because in the end I'm not really significant at all

I try to make sure when people walk away from me they are smiling not frowning.....I sometimes fail at this......
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
Thirty years ago or so I took a Philosophy class in High School. One thing the teacher said that left a deep impression was "one hundred years from now there will be no one alive who knows or cared that you ever lived".

I try to do my best, even when it is often not good enough. And, as BPB said, I try to do no harm to others.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 12:55 pm
I believe that my life has great value, even if I never do anything but raise the two little people whom I brought into this world without asking.

However, for my family, my responsiblity goes beyond simply 'raising the children'. I must take responsibility for their actions while they're under my control and do my very best to instill in them values that extend beyond the importance of their own lives.

in my local community, I do what I can by voting for what & who I believe in, those issues that are socially 'right' in my view. I try my best to be informed and not 'mindlessly walking through life'. I give money when I think it's going to the best cause, and this for me, is not always 'the starving africans'. I am painfully aware of those that have not what I have & try to do what I can for them. Sometimes, this means taking them under my wing in a moral way, in a parental way, in the absence of their biological parent.

I do as I can for the world community.

I smile, I speak to people who don't speak to me, I ticlke my children so their attitude is dispelled before they leave my home and shove it in someone else's face. I keep a positive attitude, even when I'm feeling like sh*t - so I can help people who're having problems greater than my own.

And lastly, I pray. for myself, my local leaders and those who lead them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:47 pm
Well - what's husker going to say about his value and significance?
The short answer - I place a lot of value on my contribution and often take more responsibility for things than I should. And the long answer is in the formulation stages of thought.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 03:13 pm
Quote:
"Unless you walk out into the unknown, the odds of making a profound difference in your life are pretty low."
Tom Peters
Writer and Speaker
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:08 pm
I PM'ed my short answer for not wanting to derail this conversation.

I place utmost signifigance on my lfe while it lasts. I don't count on an afterlife, but I also place utmost signifigance on my life after I'm gone... I want to leave this planet a better place than I found it. I do this while living by doing good, not promoting too much BS, trying to undo social poisons (hatred is a very bad thing). I hope to do this after by having been a good example, and setting my kids in the right direction.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:24 pm
Bravo, Seal. All good pups got to heaven and you can play on your harp...<smile>

Goodnight,
From Florida
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:04 pm
All right!
0 Replies