Proxima

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 05:35 pm
DARE stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education.
Having gone through it myself I am wondering about its effectiveness at teaching kids to say no as I take a viewpoint that peer pressure is always more powerful that these little programs. I even said so in my essay but I didn't get a response. I am wondering what your opinions are.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,069 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Proxima
Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
I agree.
0 Replies

JoyceJY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 03:59 am
@Proxima,
Because they are shy,you should make the class active ,talk with them more
0 Replies

sozobe
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:09 am
@Proxima,
One thing about peer pressure, a new study that I think is interesting (will have to find back a link, only here for a second).

Anyway it demonstrated that teenagers were more likely to take risks when their friends were around, even if no actual pressure took place. They did some sort of a driving simulation game, and one group did it in a room with nobody watching, another group did it in a room where (actually or they were told, I don't remember), their friends could see in (but they couldn't see their friends). They didn't get ANY prodding from the invisible friends, but they took more risks when they thought their friends were watching.

Anyway for all of these prevention programs, I think that information is the most important part of it. Accurate information, since the baby will go right out with the bathwater if teens figure out that some of it has been exaggerated for effect.
0 Replies