To Keep from Going Crazy One must..........................

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 12:58 pm
Pretend to be crazy.

This may or may not be the theme of the old movie, "The Ninth Configuration."

http://www.reallyscary.com/reviewsninth.asp

It really doesn't matter whether or not one has seen the film, but suffice it to say that the book, (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Kane) the movie and the script were written by Blatty (Of Exorcist fame) and he also directed it as well. In addition, he had a cameo appearance in the film.

My question is: (No. not "was Hamlet mad") but exactly how do you explain the term, "ninth configuration"?--is it science or religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 752 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:09 pm
Letty, Don't need to pretend; it's a natural occurance in my life about five-six times a year. Keeps me on a even-keel - I think. LOL
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:23 pm
Don't let it drive you crazy -- the movie has psychological and theological themes that careen around like amusing jokes. I don't believe the new title (it was originally entitled "Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane" from Blatty's original book) is anything more than some arcane reference to something Blatty put together, perhaps from Revelations. It appears to be referring to the second coming of Christ but this all takes place in a madhouse and I don't think you're suppose to figure it out. It is a tour-de-force of cinematography and performances but as storytelling, it's "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" on steroids. That's not to say it's not entertaining but the reissue on DVD is sadly below quality even if it is the original Panavision wide screen.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 01:42 pm
C.I. Bedlam, huh...... Cool

Mr. Wizard, the premise of the movie is what I'm after. As I understand it, the ninth configuration is a scientific and medical premise of creation that Blatty said could not occur by chance, implying that the odds are in favor of a creator. sorta' like "2001--A Space Odyssey".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 02:00 pm
I don't know, but "configuration" means "arrangement, outline, contour, form, conformation, structure, figure, build, or shape." We all know what "ninth" means, don't we? Here's a link to a comment about the movie, since I did not read the book or see the move. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0081237/
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 02:09 pm
Thanks for the link, C.I. most of that info was in my link, I think. In the movie, book, whatever--Blatty was suggesting that the arrangement of molecules that many think came together to evolve into man was not by chance. He used the movie as a vehicle to espouse his probing. I really believe that he wrote that book as a result of the horror that circulated after the Exorcist. Mr. Wizard and I have briefly discussed this before.

(sooooo, I used a split infinitive) Razz
0 Replies