Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:05 am
a person has two similar statues standing infront of him. one statue speaks truth always and other lies always. the person wants to ask the way to heaven. he has a single chance. which statue will he ask?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,442 • Replies: 8
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 04:34 am
@priyanka17,
either one
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:09 pm
@priyanka17,
Wrong riddle ! What you want is "what question should you ask ?"
DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:22 pm
@priyanka17,
priyanka17 wrote:
which statue will he ask?

Kinda depends on his religion....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:46 pm
@priyanka17,
He probably should ask the one that speaks the truth.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 02:20 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Which of the infinitely many valid questions do you want?
Telamon

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 05:52 pm
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:

fresco wrote:

Which of the infinitely many valid questions do you want?

There is only one valid question to ask to get the desired results that I’m aware of. Go to either statue (doesn’t matter which) and ask the following question. “Which way would he (referring to the other statue) tell me to go, to get to heaven?” Once the statue that you’re asking points the way, you would take the other path/door (the riddle setup should have included the fact that there are two paths/doors, one good one bad).
Oylok

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:57 pm
@Telamon,
Telamon wrote:

“Which way would he (referring to the other statue) tell me to go, to get to heaven?” Once the statue that you’re asking points the way, you would take the other path/door (the riddle setup should have included the fact that there are two paths/doors, one good one bad).

This film scene is my favourite version of that question. However, I believe there are infinitely many questions that work, and I will explicitly define as many in my next post.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 05:34 pm
Your basic scenario: you have to two roads; one leading to Heaven, the other to Hell. You are confronted by two statues; one who always lies, and the other who never lies.

There are an infinite number of valid questions you can ask. (As L. O. Lood said, it doesn't matter which statue you ask.)

Here is "Question 1":

"If I ask him the way to Heaven, which way will he tell me to go."

For any counting number N > 1, here is "Question N":

"If I asked him what what you would answer if I asked you Question (N - 1), what would he reply?"

N can take infinitely many values, so we have an infinite number of valid questions.

I'm pretty sure an answer to any odd-numbered question is guaranteed to point the WRONG way to Heaven while an answer to any even-numbered question is guaranteed to point the CORRECT way. (And that is all we require: an answer that is guaranteed to be true, or guaranteed to be false.)

I'm also pretty sure that any two of my infintely many questions are quite distinct from each other in what they ask.

But I leave the proof of all that as an exercise. Smile
0 Replies