Hoarding Severity Scale

Chumly

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 03:17 pm
Do you have a problem with compulsive hoarding? Use this self-assessment to find out. For each question choose the word that corresponds most closely to your experience during the past week.

http://www.oprah.com/home/Hoarding-Severity-Scale
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,563 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 03:29 pm
I just shove stuff up into the attic. Every box is labeled.
I'll let my kids work it out when I die . . .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 04:08 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
Clutter score: 7

Difficulty Discarding score: 14

Acquiring score: 9

My biggest problem is putting things away. I have the space for most everything but it gets relegated into three separate piles in my room. That and dealing with junk mail and sensitive mail that I no longer need.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 04:53 pm
Mine was:

Clutter - 2
Acquiring - 1
Discarding - 0

So, I'm definitely not a hoarder, which I already knew.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 04:58 pm
not a good week to ask me. I've just sent an SUV full of stuff from the hamburgers' house to mine. There is no room there already because of what already arrived from the hamburgers. Things will get sorted and decluttered, but right now the furniture and stuff is in a crazy place.

The upside of this weekend's process - joeblow is going to get some awesome glasses for the cottage Very Happy
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
joeblow is going to get some awesome glasses for the cottage

Um... ehBeth? Is the cottage nearsighted or farsighted? And have you considered getting the cottage corrective laser-eye surgery?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
ha! they're glasses for some type of adult beverage

hamburgboy keeps telling me what they're meant to be used for - I just know they're nice glasses that you can serve some kinda drink in
djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
sounds like the cottage is going to need a designated driver, not surgery
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 05:08 pm
@djjd62,
my experience is that driving by anyone is not recommended after a few hours at the cottage

tooooooooo much fun is had up there
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:16 pm
I am a mild hoarder. It is Mr. P. who gives me the problems. When we lived up north we had a basement, and he could clutter it to his hearts content. In Florida
if you have a basement, it is a swimming pool, so we have "stuff" all over the place. You take your life in your hands walking through the garage.

The problem with Oprah's quiz is that many of the questions are worded so that I would seem to be a compulsive hoarder. She does not take into account that sometimes it is the other person in a marriage who does the hoarding.

I have a fantasy. One day I will rent a dumpster, and throw out 90% of what I own.
Chumly

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 11:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah it is the same with me & the Mrs, I gave up keeping needless junk some years ago, but she still feels the insecurity of loss should she throw something out, yet the Hoarding Severity Scale does not reflect spousal influence.
0 Replies