Oprah's Juggernaut Book Club: Oprah and her golden stamp of approval

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:34 pm
Quote:
Oprah will share with the world her next selection. On Sept. 17, live on her show, she will announce the title of the 65th book to be embraced by the Oprah Book Club.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2010/0903/Oprah-s-next-book-club-pick-What-will-it-be
The list of her 64 anointed books chosen already:
http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/Complete-List-of-Oprahs-Book-Club-Books/1

Any guesses on which book will be her 65th chosen one?

Have you read any of her chosen books? Did you read it because she chosen the book or (and be honest) did you hear about the book and/or the author before she made the pick?

Me? I read Corman McCarthy's The Road though I can't remember if her stamp of approval meant any lick to me when I picked the book up at the library. I did also pick up a copy of We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates but to be fair she was (and still is) one of my favorite authors even before this book was published. I got 100 pages into the book before unintentionally hearing/reading a major spoiler about the book and since the book wasn't too enthralling in the first place, I gave up on the book and have never returned to it.

Oh and I did get a copy of The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen via a free copy from a mail order book club but I never read a single chapter of the book and I subsequently freecycled the book after I moved to NYC.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,238 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I dont think her stamp did much for Cormac McCArthy. He wrote "No COuntry for Old Men" which preceeded "The Road" and was pretty successful on its own. McCarthy, like ELmore Leonard, has always had a following that was fairly broad and deep. She has included two Faulkners and several other well knowns and I guess that the book club imprimatur was good for sales of the older ones where the aiuthor has been gone for a while.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:05 pm
I've never watched Oprah (part of this is not having a tv, but she probably had her show while I still had one), much less followed her book list. I'm not against it though, am all for people becoming involved or more involved with books, in whatever form they are now. I think one used book I picked up had her sticker on it but that wasn't why I bought it, whatever book it was.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:07 pm
I've never watched Oprah (part of this is not having a tv, but she probably had her show while I still had one), much less followed her book list. I'm not against it though, am all for people becoming involved or more involved with books, in whatever form they are now. I think one used book I picked up had her sticker on it but that wasn't why I bought it, whatever book it was.

Now that Miller and I are buying Powell's bookstore and you, Tsar, and (was it Reyn) are buying Barnes and Noble, I suppose I'll have to pay more attention to various booklists.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:11 pm
@farmerman,
Oh. Well, if she recommended something by Elmore Leonard, I would have to read it. As usual.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:36 pm
My sister is a huge fan of the book club; she's read them all, I think. I've missed most of Oprah's book club shows, but looking over the list, I've probably read half or more. Most recent was Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, World Without End. One of my favorites is Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende.

Can't imagine which is the newest author she's chosen to make an instant millionaire.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:19 am
I've read several books on that list, some of them are favorites. I don't recall picking them up because she recommended them but having the little "Oprah's Book Club" stamp never put me off of them either. Say what you will about her, she's notorious for the amount she reads.

I predict her recommendation will be Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom".
boomerang

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:21 pm
@boomerang,
I was right!!!!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:27 pm
@boomerang,
Okay Boomerang! Here's you prize for correctly guessing the book:
http://www.duvetandpillowwarehouse.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/smallest-teddy-bear.jpg
boomerang

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ohhhhh! An eyeball!!!! It will make a nice addition to my eyeball collection. Thanks!
0 Replies