Oprah, Kitty Kelley and Me

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
Kitty Kelley has made a career of unauthorized biographies. I remember seeing thousands of remaindered copies of her Nancy Reagan tell all years after it was published. I felt sorry for the bookstores that were stuck with them.

I have no feelings about Kelley. The sorts of books she writes and the people she writes about do not interest me. I do feel that much of what goes on in the world of celebrities is simply a tissue of lies. I have no doubt that many celebrity marriages are arranged. I also suspect that most lives are full of hidden aspects, but, are ultimately less interesting than they appear.

I do feel that one who chooses to live on the world stage . . . whether as an actor, author, politician, industrialist, or scientist . . . does not forfeit a right to privacy.

I have never been an Oprah fan and watched her show three times.

The first time I watched was somewhere between 5 and 8 years into the O phenom. The program featured two sisters: one identified as a fashion designer. I missed the part where the other sister's occupation was described.

Although the two women were undeniably sisters, the designer was more outgoing and the other was prettier and very shy. The designer made her sister over. Frankly, she seemed a nice professional woman who dressed with quiet good taste at the beginning of the show and the same as the end. Oprah and the extravert did the whole friend act and made the shy woman uncomfortable. Oprah turned abruptly to the shy one and asked what she learned. Too bad she didn't say that she loved her sister but would never appear on national television with her again.

The second time was during Oprah's year of spiritualism and I lasted about 30 seconds. The third featured the heart-rendering story of a woman who was nearly burned to death by her jealous ex. The woman's bravery was magnificent and the extent of her injuries was horrifying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 0
No top replies