My new laptop sucks!!

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:54 pm
I got a new HP pc laptop for christmas. I only began using it 3 weeks ago and it's driving me crazy. I can't return it, as the two week window for doing so has elapsed.
While using it, the back button or the back arrow just stops working midway through a session, usually after an hour or so. No warning, it just wont respond.
Even though I have the spellcheck on, it only work on the odd occasion. I've run every stupid scan I can think of, software, hardware, virus... this took almost two days. I haven't downloaded anything but google chrome and flash, but I've done this with the last couple of computers I own as well, including the mac with no problems. Google chrome doesn't work and so I'm forced to use internet explorer, which I don't like.
It doesn't seem to pick up the internet all that well, I watch the bars disappear until I am forced to restart the machine. I've called the cable company and we've reset the frequency several times.
Has anyone else ever had these problems? I'm ready to throw it out of a fast moving car... or turn it into a expensive paper weight.
Please, if you have any ideas I would appreciate the input.
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,313 • Replies: 17
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:55 pm
@Ceili,
Even if you can't return it, it should still be under warranty. Call HP and ask for warranty service or take it back to where you bought it.

And remember this next time you are tempted to buy HP.
Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 05:58 pm
@engineer,
That's what I told my husband. My first computer was a HP and it was a piece of shite. So many proprietary programs that are there just to screw up. I would never have bought this overpriced tin can, it was a gift.
I took it back to the store and the tech guy wasn't helpful at all.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:17 pm
@Ceili,
Is it possible it is overheating? Some of the symptoms sound like that could be a problem.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:19 pm
@Ceili,
I had to replace my son's HP that died a month after the warranty expired. I replaced it with a ZT Affinity. No reams of bogus programs, boots right up, great case design (of course I took it apart), good price. HP has lost me as a customer. But to your problem, there is an HP contact number, likely in your quick start guide that came with the laptop. After waiting forever on hold, they should be able to tell you where to send the thing for repair, likely on your dime.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Is it possible it is overheating? Some of the symptoms sound like that could be a problem.

That's a good thought.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Also, have you gone to the Windows website to confirm that you have all the latest updates? Service Pack 2 supposedly solves a lot of laptop issues.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
I thought of that too, but I don't know pcs so well.

I've had several posts and even threads here on a2k over the years about my sometimes crazily wonky cursor, crazily stretching respond window space, and crazy warning noises, sort of like fire engines arriving at my front door.

Only recently did I figure out by various searches that it was probably a heat related thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:25 pm
@engineer,
They lost me too, over a printer; the person at the help center or whatever it was had no clue of what the printer even looked like. (Now I have epson..)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:26 pm
@Ceili,
If you can give me the exact model of the laptop, I can do some more specific troubleshooting research.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 07:25 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

My first computer was a HP and it was a piece of shite.

Sounds like you got a "Monday" computer?

My wife and I bought 2 HP desktop computers back in December, and they've been going great.

Our last 2 HP computers were the same, and no problems. Had them for 7 years.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:42 pm
I've updated everything I can think of. I've tried unsuccessfully removing google chrome et al, no go. Wont let me. I've updated the window and virus packs again, no difference.
The computer is a HP pavilion dv7-4154ca.
I don't think it's over heating because I have it on external fan, but even if it wasn't on the fan, it's a 3 week old computer. The internal fan couldn't be dirty or have issues like that yet, could it?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:35 pm
@Ceili,
See if any of the suggestions here point to the problem/solution for you:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-and-home/HP-Pavilion-dv7-1247-wireless-problems/td-p/48752

Here's the troubleshooting page from HP's website.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4327524

This is their troubleshooter for wireless networking issues with the HP Pavilion dv7 4154ca

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=4067&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4327524

This is their troubleshooter for software/operating system issues:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=1943&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4327524

This one is for lockups and performance issues:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=26075&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4327524

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:48 pm
Thank you so much. I'm going to try all of these and see what happens. Again, I really appreciate the help.\Have a great night and I'll let you know what happens.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:50 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

And remember this next time you are tempted to buy HP.

I love HP. It's such a work horse.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:01 am
@Ceili,
If part of your problem is overheating you can get cheap platforms with cooling fans for the laptop to sit on.

Not a bad idea in any case as due to the deign limits on laptops they tend to run too hot and that shorten their lives.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:19 am
@Miller,
I was gonna say: I've had 2 HPs in 10 years. Their desktops are tanks. Their laptops...not so much.
Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:26 am
@panzade,
Hers sounds awesome, though. Exactly what I'm looking for -- without the problems lol.

I bought one of their Pavillion desktops a few years ago that had a problem within the first month. Called tech support and they could not have been nicer. Sent me a prepaid label to return it and issued a full refund. Mr.Irish has one of their bigger desktops (not the Pavillion mini one) and it's been chugging along nicely for a few years now.
0 Replies