Advice on how to get two of four foster kids

AuntL

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:06 am
My brother has been fostering his four grand children since October 2009,They have been very difficult to take care of ,so I have been helping him by getting my foster parents license and taking them on weekends and for weeks at a time.We discovered that the kids do so much better when we seperate them,so we have been taking two of them more often.The bio parents rights are about to be terminated.When this happens,if there is a family of complete strangers that will take all four of them,they will go to that family.We are devistated about this because we may never see the kids again.My brother and I are not able to take all four,but we would be able to take two each.WE only live two miles apart,the kids would go to the same school and they will see each other on a daily basis and be with their family and it's heritage.When we separate the kids they thrive,because they get the attention they need.We want to keep this family with the family they love and we love,but we feel it is in the kids best interest to separate the four amongst this family.The state however feels they should be together in a non related family.Can anyone give us advice!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:10 pm
I would think the court would respond to RELATIVES wanting these kids, no matter how they are split up.

Why are you seeing this as a foster care situation?

For you, it would be a custody situation.

I know foster care providers get $$ for taking foster kids in - termporarily, but I am not sure about taking custody of a relative.

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:18 pm
@AuntL,
Tell a white lie, have your brother foster all four, and continue your support.
Mame

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 09:27 pm
@laughoutlood,
That would not work because there would be CPS workers involved, as well as home visits, and you'd be telling the kids to lie. Bad, bad, BAD. Plus, the school would know from their Contact Information. Do not do this.

I suggest everything will be just fine because who in the world is willing to take 4 kids??? Nobody! Not even the relatives are able/willing to do that, so... just wait it out. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Personally. And even if they DID find a family, odds are it won't work out, so you guys will wind up with them again. Just make sure you always let them know you're willing to take 2 and Uncle Joe is willing to take the other 2. Believe me, this will work out for you in the end.

If all else fails, get a family lawyer.
AuntL

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:10 am
@PUNKEY,
This is still a foster care situation,the parental rights won't be terminated til March 16,but I am planning ahead.I don't want any money for the kids.I would only hope for medical benefits.
0 Replies

AuntL

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:15 am
@Mame,
I had also thought it would be difficult to find a home,but we have been told they are highly adoptable as a sibling group of four.It has crossed our minds to have my brother adopt all four then split them,but we can't do that it goes against our morals.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:13 am
A foster home with 4 spaces CAN take these kids in.
And if you get your foster care license, you may be asked to take in ANY 2 kids that the court asks you to care for.

If you want these specific kids, petition the court for guardianship 2 and 2 until the parental rights are resolved.

AuntL

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:16 am
@PUNKEY,
We got our foster parent license because of these four kids because we have been taking them on weekends and for weeks at a time to help my brother and if we didn't have a foster parent license,we wouldn have been able to take them soo much and often.Guardianship would not be right because the bio parents will still be in the picture and can come in any time and try to drag us through the mudd again to try to get the kids back.this would not be a solution,it would be a time bomb waiting to explode when ever the bio parents wanted to.This would not be in the kids best interest.
0 Replies