faith-based prison

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:45 am
Florida's Gov. Bush dedicates the nation's first faith-based prison
I would expect that this will end up in the courts as a violation of the doctrine of seperation of church and state. If you had to how would you rule? For or against?
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/25/faith.based.jail.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:09 am
Quote:
Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties
Union of Florida, called the prison part of "a major constitutional showdown" over government funding for religious programs

I think that Jeb has taken Florida down a rocky road. It is one thing to have chaplains of different faiths provide services to inmates. It is quite another to have a "religious prison", funded with taxpayer money. I am not always in agreement with the ACLU, but this time I hope that they burn Jeb's butt!

Link to Faith Based Prison in Florida
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:36 am
I don't know how relion is and can be pratised elsewhere, but here in Germany (we only have state prisons, but it is identical in all states), priest of all faiths are either 'attached' to the prison service or employed (both great Christian churches) by the Justice department. Besides, volunteers of all faiths come frequently/regularily to visit inmates, make group aktivities etc.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:53 am
Walter- Apparently this prison's FOCUS is religion. Normally, prisons have the sorts of services of which you speak, which is fine with me. What Jeb is doing is going waaay overboard, with taxpayer money!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:58 am
As it does everywhere else it is a good way to add a little more divisiveness into prison life.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 06:27 pm
The word penitentiary comes from an early 19th century prison reform movement headed by Quakers in which prisoners were to be isolated in cells, given only a bible to read, taught to pray and meditate on their crimes. As an effort at reform it failed as most of the prisoners went mad from the severity of the regimen they were forced to practice. We have been before where Jeb Bush is attempting to take us..
0 Replies