Has man got it wrong?

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:01 am
A philosophical musing I felt like sharing today.

There is a difference between what you enjoy, what will make you stronger and what will make you happy.

The man who lives for what he enjoys, lives for the day, his days pass with no meaning, his investment is repaid in the short term fix of joy that he aquires. He will always keep seeking that next fix

The man who lives for what will make him stronger is strong, he is intelligent, he is guarded and he is cautious. His investment is paid in his ability to live without dependancy, his achievements, and his admiration by others. He will always continue seeking more strength.

The man who lives for what will make him happy, seeks contentment and finds it.

Mankind has a tendency to endeavour toward what will make it stronger. Society has developed into an R&D machine, pumping out education and industry, science, and technological evolution . Mans achievements are indeed incredible, after all he has been to the moon (apparently Razz) he has lengthened life expectancy, he has built amazing cities and structures. But essentially speaking, has he done so at cost to his happiness?

The every day man in my country works for another mans gain. He earns enough to get by, and some require additional funding by the government. Most families require both parents to work, unbalancing the family dynamic. The children end up having to bring themselves up, or rely on Television and xbox to keep them company. The time spent at home is limited by the modern perspective toward working hours. With both parents exhausted from a day of work, quality time is often put aside for recouperation time.
Man is afraid of his fellow, locks on every door, you say good morning in the street and people want to know what you want, perhaps you should keep to your own business and leave them alone.
The economy is struggling, and the entire world seems to be in debt, whilst it depends heavily on weapon and tobacco trade, both of which are the means by which man heads to his own demise.
Wars and terrorism are rife, creating fear among the people, rioting, crime, and huge divides in class all add to mans misery.

Happiness is attained by some, but it is a rare commodity, as the world tends to gear people toward becoming stronger, smarter, richer and more powerful. None of these endeavours lead to happiness, only contentment can do that.

I leave you with a tale I have always enjoyed that illustrates my point

Quote:
In a quiet Mexican fishing village, an American who was on vacation saw a local fisherman unloading his catch. He decided to approach him.

The American asked the fisherman, “why are you finishing your day so early?”

The Mexican replied “Oh Senor, I have caught enough to feed my family and a little extra to sell for today. It is now time to go for lunch with my family and have a siesta. In the afternoon, I can play with my kids. In the evening, I will go to the cantina, drink a little tequila and play the guitar.”

The business professor was horrified at the fisherman's lack of motivation to succeed. He answered, “If you stay out at sea until late afternoon, you will easily catch twice as much fish. You can sell the extra, save up the money and in six months, maybe nine, you will be able to buy a bigger and better boat, and hire some crew. Then you'll be able to buy a second fishing boat and hire another crew.”

He continued, “In another year or two, you will have the capital to buy a second fishing boat and hire another crew. If you follow this business plan, in six or seven years, you will be the proud owner of a large fishing fleet.”

“Just imagine that! Then you can move your head office to Mexico city, or even to L.A. After only three or four years in LA, you float your company on the stockmarket giving yourself, as CEO, aqa generous salary package with substantial share options. In a few more years – listen to this! – you initiate a company share buy-back scheme, which will make you a multi-millionaire! Guaranteed!”

The American got very excited at the prospect himself. He said, “I definitely know these things. I'm a well known professor at the US Business School.”

The Mexican fisherman listened intently at what the animated American had to say. When the professor had finished, the Mexican asked him, “But, Senor Professor, what can a person do after getting millions of dollars?”

Now, the American professor hadn’t thought that far. He was taken aback by the question.

So he quickly figured out an answer “Amigo! With all that dough, you can retire. Yeah! Retire for life! You can buy a little villa with a picturesque fishing village like this one, and purchase a small boat for going fishing in the morning, You can have lunch with your wife every day, and a siesta in the afternoon, with nothing to worry you. In the afternoon, you can spend quality time with your kids, and after dinner in the evening, play guitar with your friends in the cantina, drinking tequila. Yeah, with all the money, my friend, you can retire and take it easy.”

Puzzled with the American's suggestion, the Mexican fisherman replied, “but, Senor Professor, I do that already!”

In todays society, we work for the benefit of our company, our country, and the forward movement of mankind. Our gain, is the means to survive.
If we worked for our own living and that of our family, we would afford much more time with our family, with our community, and with ourselves.

Perhaps I should lay off the hippy juice, but have mankind got it wrong? or am I seeing things that aren't there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:40 pm
@Smileyrius,
Unless you are an alien as I also am not and certainly allot more who think accordingly with the main idea in your post I guess Humanity is saved to some extent...let the others drown in their own poison or learn before its to late for them...I regard them as children, so much info, and so little knowledge...actually children are better !
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 07:59 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
you remind me of Ghandi
These ones are like a stone in a river of information, never absorbing a single drop.

Slightly modified quote, but your wisdom is spot on. He who is like a child becomes great, for there is nothing he knows too much of to learn more.
0 Replies