Unconventional iPod Covers: A do-it-yourself whim

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 01:49 am
In my recent contemplation over to buy a Zune HD or iPod Touch MP3 player, I also started to consider what kind of protective accessory to use with it. My old iPod Nano got pretty scratched up rather quickly so I'm going to try to keep this latest purchase in fair shape at the least.

One idea was to retrofit a handgun holster to hold the MP3 player but that might be too difficult for my amateur level do-it-yourself status.

Then I figured what if I used a thin and small hard cover book and carve/exacto knife the player's shape out of the pages. Kind of like the hidden flask in the bible trick.

I would need an exacto knife for the task and a couple of magnetic purse snaps. How should I glue the pages so they would act as a permanent solid block rather then individual sheets so it can solidly hold the iPod for sliding out?

How should I treat the dust cover? Secure it or get rid of it and let the blank hardcover be the case's outer aesthetic?

Do you have any easy do-it-yourself projects for making alternative MP3 covers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,497 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 02:04 am
@tsarstepan,
What about getting either one of those big natural sponges or a big block of soft foam. You can hollow out the middle enough to fit the MP3 player. Then, get some fabric and make a covering for it and add a shoulder strap or belt loop.

Here's a better idea. How about a memory foam eyeglass case? I eve found one with a belt hook on it.

http://www.wellpromo.com/upload/upimg44/Imported-Neoprene-Eyewear-Case-53844.jpg

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 02:06 am
@Butrflynet,
Hmmm... interesting idea though my sewing skills are somewhat kind of rusty.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 02:10 am
@tsarstepan,
Use fabric glue.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 09:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Check out the www.instructables.com
They have a ton of ideas for do it yourself ideas on this and many more projects.
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 09:07 am
@tsarstepan,
i carry my ipod touch in my front left pocket (and nothing else, keys and change go in my right), i got a nice thin silicone skin that covers everything but the face, i've thought about getting some face covers, but so far no real marks to speak of, the skin cost about 10 bucks at Radio Shack (or The Source as they're now called in Canada)

i'll see if i can find the exact model later

(i also don't use the ipod headphones, i use a sony pair with a right angle jack (i.e. not straight like the ipod jacks), i find they're better for pocket carrying)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 09:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
How should I glue the pages so they would act as a permanent solid block rather then individual sheets so it can solidly hold the iPod for sliding out?

You know that gummy stuff they put at the top of legal pads that hold all the sheets together until you tear one off? I've seen that stuff for sale in stationary shops. You just brush it on. It's called binding gum or something like that.
Swimpy

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:53 pm
@Ceili,
What a great site! Thanks, Ceili.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 01:40 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks Ceili for the link drop. The design and do-it-yourself level is quite ... high. Perhaps too high for the likes of little ole me. Razz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 01:44 pm
@boomerang,
Thanks Boomerang! Found some PH neutral Bookbinders (binding glue) at Amazon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 01:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Do you have any easy do-it-yourself projects for making alternative MP3 covers?

This was super-easy, I did use a sewing machine but you could do it with hand-stitching:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/album/ipod.jpg

I just used the sleeve from a sweater that was going to go to Goodwill otherwise.

I had originally planned on making a closure but this works well. The iPod comes to the bottom of the ribbing, I just fold it over. I've had the iPod for about 8 months (?) and it's still doing well (knock on wood).

The sweater was 100% cotton, that's probably better than synthetics.

The decoration is optional of course.
Irishk

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 02:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
There's some creative diy iPod covers on youtube. I liked the duct tape ones Smile

This guy gets the prize for most innovative stand, though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgTKDrheYs&feature=related
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 02:21 pm
@sozobe,
That's quite cute Sozobe. And very accessible as well. Very Happy
0 Replies