going through a divorce

genny

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:23 pm
1). If my husband has alot of savings bonds from his childhood that was given to him from his father. Am I entitled to them?
2). Also his mother is still alive but very old with some illnesses. If she dies am I entitled to any of his inheritance?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,485 • Replies: 11
No top replies

chai2

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:39 pm
@genny,
I suppose a lawyer could make a case for your getting something, but what in the world makes you think you're "entitled" to them?

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:48 pm
@genny,
Lawyers will come along shortly, but my guess is 1) yes, that is part of your combined estate unless you signed a pre-nup. 2) no, that is not his money in any way shape or form, it belongs to your soon to be ex-MIL. If she chooses to give it to him on her death, that is between the two of them at that point. You have no claim on her estate.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:42 pm
@engineer,
engineer,
even in point 1) she wouldn't be able to collect anything, as it was his
prior to marriage and if he kept it separate the entire time, it will be his
sole investment.

Ms. "Golddigger" probably won't have a claim in any of these two assets.
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:56 pm
Here in Canada, from what I understand, it'd a big NO to both - 1) because they were his before and he hasn't used them, and 2) because what she leaves him is his INHERITANCE.
0 Replies

genny

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:17 pm
@chai2,
It's not for me I am very happily married. I would never expect anything from a marriage that I didn't come in with, except for what we built together in the marriage. I am asking for someone else who does not want to go on line and ask. I told the person that they don't deserve the bonds or the inheritance.
0 Replies

genny

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
I hope not because I don't think it's right.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:23 pm
Bet she can find a lawyer who will argue that . . .
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
Of course she can but if the laws are clear, she won't get anywhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree strongly with CJane. There might be a question if funds were mingled.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:09 pm
@genny,
I'm not sure about 1). I concur on a "no" to 2).

She is, however, entitled to a portion of his future retirement (pension, 401K, etc.,) package.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
In New York, it's NO and NO.
Only Property acquired during a marriage is subject to division, not property solely owned by either party before the marriage.

On the mother-in-law's money: she get nothing unless the mother-in-law wills something to her personally.
Joe(Fat Chance)Nation
0 Replies