Standby problem

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 01:03 pm
Standby problem
Well, the only new thing I've installed recently was Go Back. I thought about using it, but then found that Auto Restore had been enabled, so the only Restore Points are today's.

System Restore for XP is also not an option, since that had to be disabled in order to install GoBack. Unless I could reanble it and it might find an onld Restore Point?

I was having trouble with my mouse (Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse), but by trying different mice and drivers I came up with two working mice. I don't know which driver is actually functioning, since the Cordless Wheel Mouse is working after reinstallation, and a Cordless Optical Wheel Mouse is also working although I couldn't find its installation CD.

I wonder if fooling around with the mice could be the problem. I have to admit I did something I found out later I probably shouldn't have done: I kept the computer running while working on the mouse problem.

What worries me also, is the loss of the Hibernate tab in Power Options. That seems a bit weird. Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 01:11 pm
I'm not sure if re-enabling XP's restore feature will allow you to restore older points. I definitely recommend trying it (and first uninstall "Go Back" as it's currectly useless and might conflict).

The hibernation tab disappearing is both a good and bad sign. What it means is that a setting has changed. The bad news is that there are a lot of things that can cause that to happen (like a change in BIOS settings) and without access to the computer I will probably not be able to guess what it was.

The good news is that it's disabled and not broken.

Earlier you asked if reinstalling Windows would help. It's the worst case scenario (besides having the problem stay around forever) but the answer to that is most likely a yes.

It's a bit late for the following but this will probably help you remember:

Make a restore point before you change things like divers and settiings. Heck, make a restore point before you install any software or even uninstall it.

Make sure you have allocated as much space as you can to the restore feature and make sure you have restore points.

All these problems could be resolved with a few clicks if that precaution is taken.

It won't help you now but if you remember this you won't have these kinds of problems again and you will decrease the likelihood of having to reinstall your operating system.

p.s. I'm preaching because I really can't guess at what caused your problem and because it would have been so easy to solve with a restore point.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 06:33 pm
Standby problem
Thanks for all your efforts, Craven. I agree - a nice little restore point would probably have done the trick. Crying or Very sad

I hope you had a nice day off from coping with all our problems on A2K.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:43 pm
Standby problem
I'm still coping with this, but want to thank BillyBob for telling me about AVG. I've had a lot of difficulty with Norton, telling me that I can't get AV protection because the Adminstrator has refused to permit the program. Ha! I am[/U] the Administrator and sole user! Rolling Eyes

The AVG freebie installed easily, and seems to know what it's doing.
0 Replies