What "minerals" are these in meteorite ALH84001?

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 09:47 pm
Is it correct that no geologists/mineralists on Earth can correctly identify the "minerals" or material found in ALH84001 and marked in figures at this post
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,642 • Replies: 19
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 04:58 am
@bewildered,
Science must be done carefully. Otherwise people see what they want to see rather than what's really there.
bewildered

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:19 am
@rosborne979,
Didn't Dr. David McKay of NASA did science carefully and interpreted broken collagen fibril remains as a bacteria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001#Possible_biogenic_features
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:33 am
@rosborne979,
I know about this one. The mineralogy and chemistry was done by a team of scientists that incuded one who I met at a seminar( a guy named Zare of Stanford). He was assigned to put together a chem /mineral description of this meteorite (which had been deduced to be a "Strewn chunk" from a bolide hit on MArs and theis meteorite was some of the debris.
What looked like biogenic stuff wound up having mineralogical assemblages called "Carbonatites"[Bell, Keith,1989,Carbonatites, genesis and evolution. Kenwyn inc] which can result from a quick heating and cooling and the formation of "blebs" which look like pasta and the mineralogical significance is that all of the carbon was C13 (non living) and that the xl formation of the carbonatite mineral body was unremarkeable. The panspermists have tried to keep this going since th early 90's (when it was discovered). Their contention is that life was centered within the SOlar System and had been transferred planet to planet after one planet was hit from deep space with a life carrying meteor. Its still a working hypothesis but this meteorite doesnt support the story.

I wonder what the Creationists have to say about the 52 new life zone planets that re discovered in a 0.005% ar second segment of space that Kepler found. It appears that there are an unimageanable number of life zone planets out there .
I heard Garrison Keihlor muse this weekend that
"Whay would many citizens ofthis planet be so insistent that their God had sent his son to just one insignificant planet out of the huge maze of planets with possible life on them?"

Wed seem to be deluged with counter science websites lately. What the hell, its still fun and games no matter what we find out.
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:36 am
What "minerals" are these in meteorite ALH84001?

Unobtanium
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
It appears that there are an unimageanable number of life zone planets out there .

I'm not surprised by the numbers they are finding. And beyond that I've always thought that the moons of gas giants are just as likely to have habitable conditions as planets, so I think the numbers are even greater than most people expect. And yet... so far... we appear to be alone. Something is still fishy (or squishy, or whatever aliens are like).
bewildered

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 02:27 am
It seems that no mineral expert could answer this question.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:43 am
@bewildered,
Quote:
Or maybe you are unable to understand what was said . The minerals were carbonatites with a Carbon constituency of C13 which is definately NOT an isotope associated with life. SO do you wish to continue your unsupportable assertions? Ive talked as slowly and clearly as I could.
Asked and answered , you just dont wanna accept it.
bewildered

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 07:08 am
@farmerman,
Sorry, I did not understand Carbonatite, But I checked Google at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonatite
and found it is actually a rock, not minerals.
What I asked was the names of minerals with micron-sized crystals matching the morphology of the material marked in the five figures mentioned in the post.
Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 07:13 am
Yeah, FM . . . he wants to know about minerals, not rocks . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:10 am
@bewildered,
quartzite is a rock also, as is serpentinite. Do their names give you any ideas as to the "minerals" contained therein?

The form of carbon (C13) akso says a lot to those who are interested.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 12:59 pm
@bewildered,
bewildered wrote:

What question? In order to get an expert answer, you need to be careful to pose a meaningful and precise question. Make sure you don't bury inaccurate assumptions within your question.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 02:30 pm
@bewildered,
Why do you keep posing this stuff as questions, when you clearly mean to make a statement?
0 Replies

bewildered

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
What I need is not some ideas about a rock, but complete, exact information of mineral crystal morphology matching the minute material.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:40 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

farmerman wrote:
It appears that there are an unimageanable number of life zone planets out there .

I'm not surprised by the numbers they are finding. And beyond that I've always thought that the moons of gas giants are just as likely to have habitable conditions as planets, so I think the numbers are even greater than most people expect. And yet... so far... we appear to be alone. Something is still fishy (or squishy, or whatever aliens are like).

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Wink
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:43 am
@Intrepid,
How do you know? Hell it takes me a week to get a letter to Tampa so how long will it tke to have a memo reach us from 28 to over 200 light years away? Even Fedex cant work miracles.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 06:49 am
@bewildered,
Rocks are composed of minerals. The information I gave you re: "Carbonatite" is a mineralogical term . The crystallography is available on the STanford qweb site re this specimen. Its orthorhombically xline Carbonate derived form igneous shock and remelt. Carbon is C13 (meaning its non biogenic).

If you are a "genius" as your friend claims, then you wouldnt be making such naive statements re the differentiation between rocks and theior component minerals.

I think you just want your Creationist agenda on this specimen to remain an "Enigma" to science. Sorry but it aint happening.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 07:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Rocks are composed of minerals.

And minerals are composed of atoms and atoms are composed of angels which take you to heaven every night. I know I know, it seems like an extraordinary claim, but it's also common sense and nobody should question it. Smile
wayne

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 07:13 am
@rosborne979,
Oh, now I get it, the angels create the fertilizer, almost.
0 Replies

bewildered

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:50 am
@farmerman,
Rumor-spreader, Carbonatite does not resemble the images I marked.
Why don't you use your C13 to debunk Dr. David McKay regarding alh84001?
0 Replies