Do scientists tell people every thing they know ?

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:36 am
For example do astronomers tell us every thing they have discovered ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,770 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:38 am
I'm sorry to have to tell that the scientists at this site will not be answering your question. Next time, try posting only once.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:49 am
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

For example do astronomers tell us every thing they have discovered ?

They probably leave out the boring stuff. Why would they hide anything?
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 06:40 pm
@rosborne979,
If they are working on sponsored or funded research, they usually wont share their work until after the work is reported and published.'Grey lit funding" as consultants usually work within, is very competitive also . Consider a mining exploration company being hired by a major oil company to find oil reserves. All the science and engineering consultants usually work on a confidentiality "non disclosure" basis.

Most of what we read in science news is usually several years old. Even stuff as "Kid friendly" as finding fossils. For example, in 2006 a team of scientists reported the finding of a new fossil which was half fish/half tetrapod. When the science work was reported in the popular literature, it was already 3 years old and all the peer review hoopla was past.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:10 am
Obviously, there must be some instances where scientists do not report everything they have found. But beyond "findings" it is obvious that we do not receive accounts of "EVERY THING THEY KNOW", especially their methodological knowledge. We must remember that science is a method, not just a description of findings.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:42 pm
@farmerman,
I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking in terms of "conspiracy" to withhold information on a grand scale. And I don't think that happens.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 02:38 pm
JLN makes a good point--and it must also be borne in mind that many people, especially in academic endeavors, are very poor at communicating what they know because they are not necessarily aware of what other people don't know.
0 Replies