The Official a2k Tax Rave and Rant Depository

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 09:21 am
@jcboy,
Ugh. I spent six months last year going around with the IRS on some question they had about my return a couple of years ago and a withdrawal from my kid's college fund. I ended up having to pay an accountant to convince them my college expenses were real.
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 10:55 am
@engineer,
I’ve always used the same Tax Attorney; she’s a friend of my parents and did their taxes every year. Knock on wood I’ve never had any issues with the IRS.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 12:23 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

It’s that time of the year again. I was waiting on one 1099 from a company I did some free lance work for, well it never came. I emailed the company and was told since they are a Corporation located in the Cayman Islands they are not required to send out 1099’s. Our tax attorney confirmed that was true but we are still going to claim the income. I’m not messing with the IRS!
Cool

Of course, now we're wondering what Cartel you're working for Wink
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 01:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
LOL actually the company I work for is the parent company, they own this other company. My company asked me if I would do some contract work for them and I would get paid after invoicing them, I had no idea they were incorporated in the Cayman Islands, probably explains why they sent me paper checks and couldn’t use my bank for direct deposit. Razz
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 01:29 pm
The CRA is our equivalent to your IRS. My husband sent them a cheque for the balance on his late father's account... they cashed it but they couldn't find where it went so he couldn't finalize things with his family for about 8 months.
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 02:00 pm
@Mame,
When ever I've had to pay the IRS, like a quarterly tax payment I always pay online, never by check. They will charge you a fee if you were to pay via debit or credit card but if you pay via ACH, directly out of your checking account there is no fee. I only make a payment when I do contract work because no taxes are taken out.

I did more work for them last month and they still are sending me more projects but now they want me to invoice every quarter and not every two weeks. So in three months I get a big fat check.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 11:05 am
The tax deadline is Tuesday. So far, refunds are 10% smaller than last year
I sneaked my state tax payment in yesterday morning thinking I was a day late because I was thinking of the old April 15th deadline.
0 Replies