Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:14 pm
@High Seas,
No offense taken...primarily because I know I am gravitas personified.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:15 pm
I'm of the opinion that while I would like to see democratic institutions formed in the middle east... I don't neccesarily think the west's position is always the best. You only have to listen to the pinheads on Fox who espouse the belief that arabs aren't genetically inclined to democracy unless they are spoon fed it by us. I believe that Iraq was a mistake and the invasion was done for a myriad of different reasons, none of them to bring power to the people.
After listening to several high ranking members of US government officials and a few generals on TV the last few nights, it seems they too have seen the light. They are now talking about arming the opposition, giving them what they need and letting them take care of the problem their way, then sitting back waiting to see what happens, instead of rushing headlong into the area with guns blazing under false premises. Maybe there is hope.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:20 pm
@Ceili,
I agree with that thesis; there's nothing wrong with making it a somewhat fair fight by supplying them with armaments. With some of the tanks we have...
talk72000

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I hope they will supply the right crowd though. Make sure they aren't Osama's buddies. Mr. Green
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:29 pm
@Ceili,
Your perception of Fox is cartoonish and demonstrates you never actually watch it.

I have to bet that you consider "neo-con" an epithet, and that you believe Fox is lousy with neo-cons, and yet for some idiotic reason you accuse Fox of not holding neo-con opinions.

The laughable left...especially the anti-American clique! Very Happy
Ionus

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:33 pm
@Ceili,
The last time that was tried the communists in Vietnam were armed during WWII who then promptly avoided the Japanese and waited for the French to return . Who will go around and gather the guns afterwards ?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And while your at it, show us the members who think Chavez is king...
I've watched Fox plenty of times. It comes directly to my TV. Exactly how is my post anti-US? Plenty of the politicians I've watched in the last week were republicans... Put words in your own mouth, not mine.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The laughable left...especially the anti-American clique!
I dont know who they want to replace the USA with....Saudi Arabia ? China ? Monte Carlo ? They are quite happy with the status quo, they just want to improve their position within it by using small tribe dynamics in a very large world . If they complain enough, their power base may increase .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:46 pm
@talk72000,
The cannon range on those tanks are pretty good, but it still won't reach the US from Libya. The M2A1 tank has a range of almost 5 miles (I think). Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:11 pm
Appropos my Newsnight tale of last week--the director of the London School of Economics has resigned over financial connections with Libya and Saif Gadaffi's PhD. Whether everybody with financial connections to Libya ought to follow suit I don't know.

I also don't know how many PhDs are bought. I suspect it's a large number.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:12 pm
@spendius,
If that's the case, it would seem most in the US government workers who buddied up with Gaddafi should also resign. Now, that's a splendid idea!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:15 pm
@spendius,
I don't know either about degrees bought.

JohnBoy (Phd - silly walking - 2006)
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
Not all qualifications are bought with money. Many a young lady has brought other incentives to the table in her tutor's rooms.
Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 06:29 pm
@spendius,
Prove it.
msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@Ceili,
(Don't hold your breath waiting for a response, Ceili. Wink )

From Al Jazeera:
The ICC has decided to proceed with with its investigation of crimes against humanity in Libya:

Quote:
Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, and his key aides will be investigated for alleged crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court, the chief prosecutor has said.

Speaking at a press conference in The Hague, the Netherlands, on Thursday, Luis Moreno-Ocampo said he would investigate claims that peaceful protesters had been attacked by forces loyal to Gaddafi.

"We have identified some individuals with de facto or formal authority, who have authority over the security forces," that have clamped down on a rebellion that started on February 15, he said.

"They are Muammar Gaddafi, his inner circle, including some of this sons," he said, and vowed there would be "no impunity in Libya".

The prosecutor also listed individuals including the Libyan leader's head of personal security, and the head of the external security forces. He said he expected to ask judges at the court for arrest warrants within " a few months".

He added that opposition forces would also be investigated. ....

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/03/201133121511637608.html

Also from Al Jazeera, an article from today's "opinion" section, written by Peter Singer, discussing the pros & cons of the ICC's decision in the struggle for "global ethics".:

Quote:
This is the first time that the Security Council has unanimously referred a situation involving human rights violations to the International Criminal Court, and it is remarkable that countries that are not members of the Court – including the United States, Russia, and China – nevertheless supported the referral. The resolution can thus be seen as another incremental step towards the establishment of a global system of justice able to punish those who commit gross violations of human rights, regardless of their political or legal status in their own country.

Yet, in another way, the Security Council resolution was a disappointment. The situation in Libya became a test of how seriously the international community takes the idea of a responsibility to protect people from their rulers. The idea is an old one, but its modern form is rooted in the tragic failure to intervene in the Rwandan genocide in 1994. A subsequent UN inquiry concluded that as few as 2,500 properly trained military personnel could have prevented the massacre of 800,000 Tutsis. ...

Global Justice and Intervention:
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/03/20113394537843279.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:28 pm
@msolga,
I'll believe it when I "see it." It's all rhetoric now.
msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You may be right, for all I know, ci.
But right now I am taking the ICC's statements on face value.
We'll just have to see what eventuates, I guess
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:38 pm
@Ceili,
We've armed the opposition before...hoping for the best. His name was Saddam.

You never know what creature will emerge from good intentions.
Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
@Lash,
Don't forget al quaeda.
msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'll believe it when I "see it." It's all rhetoric now.

You don't see this as positive?

Quote:
This is the first time that the Security Council has unanimously referred a situation involving human rights violations to the International Criminal Court, and it is remarkable that countries that are not members of the Court – including the United States, Russia, and China – nevertheless supported the referral. ...