White "W"

DeLou

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:41 am
Hi I am looking for any info on the white "W". I was just informed that my great grandmother was jewish. She came to america years ago. has now passed away and denies the fact that she was jewish as it was only in her last name she says. which was winter. ( by the way my father was adopted so she is not my blood. not that this would matter) Anyway we are looking for info this "W" as it was painted in white on houses that were lived in by the jewish people in germany. I do belive this would be before Hitler. As she was 106 when she passed away and that was 10 years ago. But from what we know it was only a white "w" nothing else with this. I am so courious as to find out all I can on this now that I was just told this story. becuase really this is part of my history right? even if my Dad was adopted. Does this make me part jewish? The last name was Winterr when she came to america she took off one R to hide the fact she was jewish.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this!!! and Happy Holidays to all!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,784 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:20 am
I've never heard of this before, and I can't find anything on Google. Hmm.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
Hmmm.. This sounds like a bit of an urban legend. Germans wouldn't have referred to people as being "white" (or the German word for it which would be "Weiss") but as either "Caucasins" or "Aryans".
0 Replies

DeLou

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
I am sorry along w/ this I should of mentioned she swore she was german. Her husband was. And she said she was rasied in germany as being german and not jewish. It was just the W thing that had me wondering. I have surfed the web also and come up w/ the same thing however it was never just the white W.

Thank you all!!

De
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:10 pm
A white "W" was painted after 1933 on houses, when they had water (= an own well) inside the house.
Since white "B" just meant that was a bunker without water supply, you can guess
a) that a "W" was a "house bunker" (= a 'stronger' cellar - like the house I lived in ... later)
b) this was done in the late thirties of last century (on our house even later because grandfather didn't want any Nazi signs on the house as long he could without being forced).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:29 pm
Thanks for clarifying that Walter. When I saw this thread, I hoped you would find it and clear the air!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:33 pm
Indeed. That makes a lot of sense Walter. Thanks! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 04:02 pm
Thanks, fishin'!

(I changed my signature-line after reading your response :wink: )
0 Replies

DeLou

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:36 pm
Thank you so much. So That sounds like about the time she would have lived there. So I geuss that was not a bad thing? My Dad will be so happy to know this. He is a huge history buff but not even he could figure this one out!!!!

De
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:54 am
Well, it's really not a big story: in most places, you found a white "W" in every street, in rural districts on any second house.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thanks, fishin'!

(I changed my signature-line after reading your response :wink: )

hehehe Well, the new sig line works for ya! Wink
0 Replies