Best online resources for modern scientific knowledge?

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:08 pm
What are some of the best online resources for modern and up-to-date scientific knowledge (including the latest understanding of theories, etc.)? Google is obviously a powerful resource in and of itself, but I've found that some of the best information can slip under the radar.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 8,497 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:40 pm
@lieunacy,
There is no single best source. Many of the standard universities have .edu sites that provide a lot of information. There are lots of online courses on iTunes University.

Google will provide you with more garbage than gold. It's up to you to sort it all out, and the only way to really do that is to understand what you're reading. And amidst all the crackpot theories and insanity, you may find it more than you can absorb. Eventually you have to start selecting resources/people that you trust for information in order to reduce the amount of data you have to sift through.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:46 pm
This topic should have some useful tips and resources for you:

100 Useful Tips and Tools to Research the Deep Web
0 Replies

lieunacy

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:49 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
There is no single best source. Many of the standard universities have .edu sites that provide a lot of information. There are lots of online courses on iTunes University.

Google will provide you with more garbage than gold. It's up to you to sort it all out, and the only way to really do that is to understand what you're reading. And amidst all the crackpot theories and insanity, you may find it more than you can absorb. Eventually you have to start selecting resources/people that you trust for information in order to reduce the amount of data you have to sift through.

Precisely why I asked. Wink

I'm not terribly concerned just yet, as there are a lot of general topics I need to cover in detail before I really start delving into theory, but preparation is everything.

Quote:
This topic should have some useful tips and resources for you:

100 Useful Tips and Tools to Research the Deep Web

Thanks, I'll have to have a look through there. It'll be useful for more than just scientific research.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
The Public Library of Science is a nonprofit organization that makes scientific and medical literature available free online.

http://www.plos.org/
0 Replies