Is overly hot gym dangerous?

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
We emailed the coach, because we figured he would have a connection to the school - my daughter's coach is actually the individual who runs her league in the city so he arranges the places where the game is held.

He was not the one who sent the "rude" email - although I didn't particularly love his response - I think it was more of not knowing than being rude. He (my daughter's direct coach) must of emailed the varsity coach to ask about it as he works at the high school. We never directly contacted him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:57 am
@Linkat,
Yep, it's serious.

I think it's worth taking it to the next level (school principal or whomever rather than coaches).

Meanwhile lots of water and keeping a close eye on her as you mentioned,
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:30 am
I remember watching this - the women's marathon of the 1984 Olympics -

"The most dramatic finish of the race was not Benoit's impressive victory, but the finish of Swiss competitor Gabriele Andersen-Scheiss, who entered the stadium fifteen minutes later suffering from heat exhaustion. The crowd gasped in horror as Andersen-Scheiss staggered onto the track, her torso twisted, her right arm straight and her left arm limp, her right knee strangely stiff. She waved away medical personnel who rushed to help her knowing that, if they touched her, she, like Dorando Pietri seventy-six years earlier, would be disqualified. For nearly six minutes Andersen-Scheiss hobbled around the track, occasionally stopping and holding her head. Doctors watched her carefully and determined she was in no immediate danger. She collapsed over the finish line in thirty-seventh place into the arms of waiting medics. Fortunately, Andersen-Scheiss recovered quickly. Her time of 2:48:45 would have won the gold medal in the first five Olympic marathons."

http://www.marathonguide.com/history/olympicmarathons/chapter26.cfm

More about her treatment post-marathon here:
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=365&var_Year=2004&var_Month=08&var_Day=18
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:57 am
@sozobe,
Yes - I talked with my daughter today and told her whenever there is a time out and the coach gathers you around, run and grab your water bottle and drink some while listening. I reminded her how she typically has more playing time so she will not get the time to re-hydrate as aften as her teammates so this is the only way you will be able to get enough water into you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:01 pm
@ossobuco,
This is beyond just heat exhaustion - it is described as dehydration stroke (heat exhaustion can lead to this).

And I'd not worry about my daughter - she isn't that dedicated!
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Yoga is certainly less intense than basketball, though.

Oh my.

I've seen more than 1 who looks like a star football player or marine (nods to linkat) break into a drenching sweat and start gasping for air while attempting a "that doesn't look hard" pose. For one person, moving a quarter of an inch is as intense as someone else moving the same body part 2 feet.

I admire your sister for doing Bikram. It's not my style though, much too hot. Plus, some actually do yoga in competition, and I'm totally not into that.

I thought of posting this while I was getting gas after work. I was pumping away, and this young guy who looked Absolutely FINE & check out worthy pulled up next to me. I noticed he had a bumber sticker for a yoga place I had heard of, so I asked him where that was.
Then, I thought of this thread, and told him that someone online had said yoga wasn't as intense as playing basketball.

He started the guffaw, but I sure joined in.

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:29 pm
@chai2,
I've done both.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:50 pm
@chai2,
Competive yoga. Awesome
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:32 pm
@Linkat,
My link showed that. Heat stroke was within the first sentence. I was in the marina as the runners went by. It wasn't all that hot, just typical LA.

So, wait, your daughter won't deal with that..
I know people are acclimated, but..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
@boomerang,
Changes in temperature have a very indirect relationship to wood/a wood floor warping, Boomer. Higher temperatures do reduce the moisture content in wood which can cause movement, though not necessarily warping. But this isn't something that occurs quickly, save for a sudden flood of water.

With the finishes that are on these modern floors, daily/weekly/monthly moisture variation would be minimal.

Seasonally, in some climates, there could be a major difference. Unless the floor has in-floor radiant heat, the temperature ranges that will cause problems to humans will not affect wood in any appreciable sense.
boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:02 pm
@JTT,
I don't know.

Mr. B is a timber/lumber/flooring broker who really knows an insane amount about wood so I tend to believe him.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:05 pm
@boomerang,
I don't take this as about the floor, but that the kumquats don't get the assaying of temperature and how to deal with it.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@boomerang,
I think that your husband is an incredibly smart guy. He married you, did he not?

EDIT: Given the context, the above comments actually could be taken by some as snide but I want to assure you, B, that they are NOT.
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:35 am
@ossobuco,
Linkat said "our city is paying 10k to have the custodians taught how to use the new heating system"

This made me think that there is probably something in the gym that is temperature sensitive. The logical thing would be the floor. That's why I asked Mr. B about it.

I know if I spent $100,00 on a floor I'm be a nut job trying to keep it safe -- but not at the expense of the people who actually have to play on it.

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:43 am
@JTT,
If I'd been made of walnut or oak he probably would have known better.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:51 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Competive yoga. Awesome

Isn't that the weirdest concept?

I guess that's the way of the western world. Take the most non-competitive, self accepting thing you can think of, and make it a contest.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 09:02 am
@boomerang,
If they are trying to keep the floor warm, I hope they are trying for 70-80, not 90+ and I think the gym would have to be 90+ to actually be dangerous. That doesn't mean that people can't overheat though. I think Link it on the right track pushing the water at breaks. Most people drink a sip or two when they really need half a cup or more at a time.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:40 pm
@engineer,
Well it may be her not drinking enough. During school hours, I found out she doesn't bring her water bottle with her. She has too much to carry with all her books. Yesterday she had to be pulled out of another game because she complained about not feeling well - also could be a bit of worry on her side now. It was in a different gym, with her school team rather than her travel team. Although her travel is on the weekend so she doesn't have the lack of water thingy during the day.

Either way - there is a problem with the heat - not sure if it was 90, but damn it was hot in there. I, just sitting on my butt watching the game, drank a half bottle of water because I got so hot and thirsty in there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:43 pm
Also this time of year is DRY, I noticed that sozlet isn't drinking enough either (came up re: contacts). I think they need to drink even more than they're used to to make up for the dry air.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
@sozobe,
Yes - we actually had that very discussion with her last night - we explained how she could manage carry her water as well. But you know sometimes this kids get stubborn and don't listen.
0 Replies