Do you think, etnic аnd languages are determinating philosophy and scinse?

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:55 pm
But word may be different with scientific picture of the world
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 537 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@liteblackk,
Philosophy - yes.
Science - less so because it is underpinned by non-ethnic mathematics.
liteblackk

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:17 pm
@fresco,
Not only ethnic. Also all experience peoples of Earth . Because math also have a historic origin.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:29 pm
Mathematics is a form of communication which transcends culture and language.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:15 am
@liteblackk,
It is true that the selection of mathematical models, and the attribution to them of the word "satisfactory" is subject to cultural historicism. For example, the Niels Bohr (Compenhagen) interpretation of Quantum Theory leans towards the Eastern mysticism of the Tao which he incorporated into his coat of arms. However, irrespective of the subsequent "dead end" experienced by detractors from QM such as Einstein, the discussion of "scientific progress" and/or "satisfactory explanation" can be assigned to the domain of "philosophy" rather than to "science" itself. (Similar arguments can be pursued in the case ofthe Nazi attitudes to "non-Aryan science").
fresco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:36 am
@liteblackk,
As an afterthought, I acknowledge that the lay Greek abhorrence of the concept of "infinity" could be cited as an example of ethnicity in the history of mathematics, but given the nature of modern mathematical abstractions, I doubt whether such a case is significant with respect to the general argument.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:08 am
@fresco,
One thing is the mathematics and quite another its interpretation Fresco...
fresco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:27 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Point taken. But I'm talking about "empirical observation" suggested by mathematical models such as the symmetry considerations of group theory.
Unless we go for the catch all "cultural" argument that what we call "science" is about "chauvinistic prediction and control" it is hard to pin a "cultural bias" on such interpretation.
0 Replies