What is the job insfrastructure of academic journals?

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:25 am
I'm thinking I would quite like to do some work experience for one in the summer, but I do not know the job infrastructure or how they work, or what job I could even do (unpaid).
If anyone knows it would be useful.
Thanks, PQ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,988 • Replies: 2
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:30 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
the only real knowledge i have of this comes from listening to a few radio shows who make great on air use and mention of their interns (unpaid students getting college credit for work), they seem to be evaluated as the job goes on, start with basic tasks and see how they progress, some get airtime and do great production pieces, some seem to spend their entire time getting breakfast and coffee for the hosts and guests

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:27 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Have you picked a journal? Just approach them. I'm guessing you might be able to pickup volunteer work in citation checking, maybe even proofing. Editing and layout will still be mostly in the hands of paid professionals. But it does depend on the journal. Open access titles might be a better bet if you want more varied dirt on your hands. Are you attached to an institution with an academic publishing wing?

Book reviewing is always option too.
0 Replies