The Congenial Guest

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 02:55 pm
THE CONGENIAL GUEST

The clouds above began to grow dark and billow upward in large clumps of cumulus cotton. Only small openings within the formation allowed specular shafts of light to reach the ground. In turn, the fields took on a silver hue much like sterling flatware, polished in anticipation of the arrival of the much-anticipated guest.

She arrived and entered the stage as a small, but building, breeze. Once inside, she was warmly greeted and glistening stemware was held aloft in honor of her visit. Along with her, she had brought sweet liquor, to be shared by all beneath the bold canopy. It was first offered in small quantities, to be tasted and swirled within the parched pallet of the ground below. Once approved, it began to flow hardily and with gusto. In round after round, the land lapped up the sumptuous liquid, begging that another round be poured to drench it's never ending thirst. For a period, the petition was granted.

Then, as quickly as the guest had arrived, she departed, leaving her rainbow calling card and a promise to return. Satisfied, the earth lay quietly in soft slumber, slowly consuming the last drops of nature's mead. Small birds returned to voice their approval of the blithe afternoon tea. All was well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,494 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 04:44 pm
Very nice. Evocative.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 08:07 pm
I like it too.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 09:05 pm
Lovely, morganwood.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 11:49 pm
Thank you all!
What happened to my avitar?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 02:37 pm
Oooh, having endured many a Texas drought, I liked this a lot!

We just went through a deluge of sorts this summer and now there are whole trees dying in the middle of lakes which are filled to the brim. Glad to have the extra water round here, that's for sure!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
Very well written. Excellent use of personification, I must say. A powerful device which can easily be overdone. You wield it with great skill and eloquent poetic expression.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:31 pm
Thank you dupre! I haven't been here in several weeks as it seems all my customers want everything "In time for Christmas".

Hope to visit more after the !st.
0 Replies