How prepared are we for a EMP event?

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
Wow I have seen a documentary on what effects a nuclear explosion would have outside earths athmosphere. Scarry stuff I wonder if someone out there would have more knowledge about subject ( mine consists of watching one documentary ). Like what safegards are taking agaisnt it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,310 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 10:45 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factsheets/factsheets-htm/fs41elecpuls.htm
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hmm yes I have read the defenition for it, I understand what it is. The documentary stated that most evreything would be afected by it (thats electronic) It said it would cripple the United States Food distribution system, Any travel modes, Banking systems, Investing systems, Well there was alot more. But I forget easy Smile It also said that it would take 7 years to repair the damge it would cause. Guess my question is more geared towards prevention, and reabilition as well procedures placed for such an event Smile Does the question make sense?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:08 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
They said the exact same things about Y2K and the effect all those crashed computer systems would have on the economy's infrastructure.

And I posted the links so others (besides me) would know what your question was about since it was a bit vague. EMP stands for many different things, not the least of which is emergency medical personnel.

The link from the Department of Homeland Security addresses the prevention, security and other aspects of it.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Aha thank you Smile Yes I dint even think of possible defenitions of EMP
yes the DHS link was helpfull. Seems alot less dramatic then the documentary. But hey I suppose you have to grab more attetion when youre making a movie. So they may have spiced it some Smile
0 Replies