Percentage/stats question

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 10:30 am
OK, I've spent an hour on Google trying to find a reliable site that would tell me how I can interpret percentages, etc., mentioned in survey reports in varied ways. I didn't find anything, and here I am.

Mathematics was never my forte, and sometimes I find myself stuck with very simple questions.

Let's say a survey finds that 40% of women use the morning-after pill as their preferred contraceptive method. And let's say they had interviewed 500 women.

So if I have express this result another way - say in terms of "one in ten women" said - how would I calculate that figure? And in what other ways could I express the 40% result?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 10:58 am
You could express it as two in five women prefer the morning after pill. You've chosen convenient numbers--40% is very easily expressed in such terms. If, though, the number were 42.7%, it would no longer be so simple. In a case like that, you'd be obliged to say something such as "almost two in five women . . . "
fresco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:11 am
@spidergal,
Percentages are fractions expressed as "out of 100".

So in your survey, 40 women out of every 100 interviewed used that pill. Or 5x40=200 total in the survey.

40% =40/100=4 out of 1o = 2/5= o.4
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If, though, the number were 42.7%, it would no longer be so simple. In a case like that, you'd be obliged to say something such as "almost two in five women . . . "

42.7% of 500 women is 213.5 women, so in that case one would wonder how the survey people got an answer out of half a woman. Furthermore because 213.5 is more than 200, you'd say something like "slightly more than two in five women", not "almost". Even better, "around two in five".

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:40 am
@contrex,
You must be lousy, because i see you picking nits. The point was less about the numbers than about the manner of expressing a percentage which is not as convenient as 40%. Of course, if this sort of thing gratifies your petty heart, far be it from me to ruin your fun.
fresco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:03 pm
@contrex,
You are 100% c0rrect (Wink ) in discussing all aspects of the original question.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:22 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You must be lousy, because i see you picking nits.

You silly fool.

Quote:
The point was less about the numbers than about the manner of expressing a percentage which is not as convenient as 40%. Of course, if this sort of thing gratifies your petty heart, far be it from me to ruin your fun.

People differ in their familarity with numbers, I agree, and I understand that to pick take issue with your (no doubt hurriedly concocted) example of "42.7% of 500 women" might seem petty to you, but there are many people who would see it as crass as writing "My mother and father is both Armenian".

Anyhow, I don't think that arguing with your assertion, in essence, that 213 is "almost" 200 is nitpicking at all, and your hysterical, whining response does you no credit. If you cannot take criticism, then think a little more before you post.

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:29 pm
@contrex,
No whining here, Bubba . . . you're not that important.
contrex

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No whining here, Bubba . . . you're not that important.

He fails to address the issue of his number-blindness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
I can take criticism, especially from a non-entity such as you. The original poster asked a question about how to express percentages, and i offered some advice, which was not intended to be a rigorous arithmetic exposition. If you are so petty as to rant about number blindness and call me a fool, i'd say you're the one who is hysterical. Maybe you need a hobby.
fresco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:16 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I can take criticism

Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:21 pm
I do as well as you . . . of course, that's not saying much . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:26 pm
why can't we all just get along?

c'mon, who knows the words to kumbaya?
let's all sing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:26 pm
Bitch . . . and i mean that in the most loving way . . .
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:52 pm
Spidergal;

40% = 40 out of 100
or
4 out of 10
or
2 out of 5

0 Replies