What was the first gene that was created?

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm
Im not well educated in these matters. I was just curios if some one knows what was the instructions on the first ....... or the oldest strand of dna...... or what functions did it control?

talk72000

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
It would be the bacteria dna.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The earlist forms of life were single celled creatures (perhaps this depends on whether you think the replicating protein strands are life or not).

So the earliest genes certainly involved things that simple single celled organisms need, probably either reproduction (unfortunately the asexual type) or metabolism.

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:05 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The oldest strands of DNA did nothing but replicate themselves.

That's the simple answer to a massively complex subject.

I found this brilliant attempt to illuminate this complexity here:
http://www.evolutionofdna.com/
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@maxdancona,
hmm yes I was wondering,,, hmm well you know how you can trace back genes that are shared? I was wondering if you could trace it back to a single or maybe a couple of the oldest ones and what function it kicked of that was able to make it survive. Well all the way to the present day? hmm does that make sense? like I said Im not well schooled in this subject so bear with me Smile
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:03 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

The oldest strands of DNA did nothing but replicate themselves.

That's the simple answer to a massively complex subject.

I found this brilliant attempt to illuminate this complexity here:
http://www.evolutionofdna.com/
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:51 pm
@hingehead,
Yay for Fred and Sophia Smile Thank you hingehead that was somewhat helpfull Smile
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:59 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Smile
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:10 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
The thing that I cant figure out is, How does one cell mutiply to a billion to make one being, Lets say a human, evrey single cell is inter conected and passing down information. Does anyone out there have a link to a simple explanation on how this works?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:27 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

The thing that I cant figure out is, How does one cell mutiply to a billion to make one being, Lets say a human, evrey single cell is inter conected and passing down information. Does anyone out there have a link to a simple explanation on how this works?

Are you asking for an explanation of the genetics involved in growing a single fertilized egg cell into a complex organism?

Or are you asking for an explanation for the evolutionary sequence involved in moving from single celled organisms to large multi-celled organisms?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@rosborne979,
ooh no I understand that Smile I mean guess it would be something more like the comunication of cells.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:59 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
like does it secrete something that tells the other what to do. Does that make sense?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:01 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Like if you get a cut. Does one send a warning message also or is it just the nerves? Does the cell itself communicate?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:33 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
like does it secrete something that tells the other what to do. Does that make sense?

Yes. I believe there is a fair amount of chemical communication/interaction between cells. There are probably hundreds of thousands of such interactions pertaining to a number of different physiological systems.

Are you thinking of one in particular?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:57 pm
@rosborne979,
like a movie type docomentary if know of one I can link to. That would be great Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 03:28 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well Im sorry for being so difficult Smile Is just hard for me to read anything for too long. I read less than 10 books all the way thru my entire life, Im 40 years old. When I try to read something mind my mind wonders off into a discussion room, Its debilatating. But in a video format I can pick up alot more imformation. I hope you can understand Smile Thank You Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 03:37 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Ohh that 10 book list...... It Does include school text books. Some 12 years of it till I got my GED. Just wanted to be clear Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:15 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Ya youre probaly having the same trouble as I am. A visual tutorial is hard to find Smile
rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 01:23 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,

Ya youre probaly having the same trouble as I am. A visual tutorial is hard to find Smile

Here, try this. Or this.
djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 01:29 pm
What was the first gene that was created?

Levi-Strauss?