The Golden Voice of Ted Williams...

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:20 am

Quote:
Homeless man with radio voice has offer

The Cleveland Cavaliers have offered a job to a homeless Ohio man with a golden radio voice.

Ted Williams, whose deep baritone and plight have made him an online video sensation, was contacted Wednesday by the Cavs. Team spokesman Tad Carper says details are being worked out on the possible position. It could include Williams working in Quicken Loans Arena.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that video of Williams posted this week on its website has commanded millions of views.

In the clip, Williams stands near a Columbus highway ramp demonstrating his smooth, deep speaking voice. He holds a sign that asks motorists for help and says, "I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times."

Williams, who told the Dispatch he sometimes lives in a camp behind a gas station, says he had trouble with drugs and alcohol but is two years sober.

"I'm trying hard to get it back," he told the newspaper.

A Dispatch videographer by chance decided to film Williams, who sometimes panhandles off Interstate 71.

"We run into these guys at the exit ramps and we pretty much ignore them," the videographer, Doral Chenoweth III, said on the Dispatch website. "This guy was using his talent."

On the Dispatch's video clip, Williams said he was 14 and on a field trip when he became fascinated by the world of radio after talking with an announcer.
http://[url=sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5991313](espn)[/url]

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:27 am
@Region Philbis,
I love this story. He does have a beautiful voice.

I also saw this update:
Quote:

Second Chance of the Day: Ted Williams, the homeless man with the “golden radio voice” made his on-air debut today courtesy of Dave & Jimmy and WNCI 97.9. “I’m Susan Boyle for a day… or Justin Bieber,” Williams said, as his mellifluous timbre reverberated across The Discovery City.

And the job offers have been pouring in: WBNS-TV asked Williams to narrate promotional spots for its “One Day to End Homelessness” telethon; the Ohio Credit Union League presented him with $10,000 in exchange for voice-over work; and the Cleveland Cavaliers offered the Brooklyn native a full-time job and a free house.

“The Cleveland Cavaliers just offered me a full-time job and a house! A house! A house!,” Williams exclaimed. And the Internet saw that it was good, and rested.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:29 am
@Region Philbis,
i thought they froze ted williams head
http://www.southdacola.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/tedwilliams.gif
maybe the resonance comes from the vibration off the bell jar
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
I've never seen him but it's weird to keep seeing this article everywhere (it was featured on Yahoo's front page) since he's a local.

The golden-ness of his voice is completely lost on me of course but I'm so happy to see he's been offered a job, and a house!
0 Replies