Can and do war movies serve a purpose?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:03 pm
@djjd62,
Missing slightly annoyed me, don't remember why - probably Jack Lemmon.

I should watch Salvador. I'm iffy re Stone, but I suppose I could open my mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@djjd62,
Didn't see Year of...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:08 pm
Re Jespah's post - escape movies. I saw Great Escape five times. Coburn arriving in Spain... grand. (It was Coburn, no?)

Of course, now I know more about Spain, having just read Ghosts of Spain. Still, glorious moment.
jespah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep, Coburn goes to Spain (I adore that film -- it's rather popcorny but still good). McQueen's a pain, but Coburn's fun.

Ever see a film called The Wooden Horse (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043147/)?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:33 pm
@jespah,
No - I assume that isn't Tree of the Wooden Clogs?

of course I need to google..
jespah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
It's an escape pic.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:42 pm
@jespah,
Tree of the Wooden Clogs, reviewer not quite talking for me -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tree_of_Wooden_Clogs
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wooden_Horse

I'll watch this if I can nab it.
jespah

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 05:20 am
@ossobuco,
It seems pretty rare. I have only seen it once on TV, and that was a good 30 or so years ago. A pity -- it's an interesting flick as I recall. Would certainly love a chance to be able to confirm that.
0 Replies

warmoviebuff

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
A. They can show the attitude of the establishment at the time of the release which can be instructive of what the temper of the time was. Also, you get the "official" reason for fighting the war. Movies like this can be valuable in teaching how propaganda works so future generations are not as easily fooled by governement sanctioned movies.
B. Only for entertainment. I feel we are more sophisticated today and do not fall as easily for the propaganda type films typical of the 1940s. However, if you look at box office receipts of recent realistic war movies (e.g. In the Valley of Elah), the audiences in America are not really open to the unofficial version of what is taking place in Iraq, for instance.
II. A. The people who make the decisions and the potential recruits are not swayed by anti-war movies. Those people would not watch the movie anyway because it does not encourage already held beliefs. A good anti-war movie might have an effect on voters, but not enough to make a difference.
B. I would think the opposite, but to no purpose because not enough people with enough influence would be impacted.
III. A good war film will give an accurate portrayal of what war is like for the soldiers, thus giving potential recruits and their society a realistic portayal of what they are getting into. It can also engender much deserved respect for the men who went through the experience. "Cinematic roller coaster rides" are dangerous because they do the opposite. Rambo II, for instance, started a wave of movies that taught that the government is corrupt in dealing with soldiers and soldiers can be superhuman and do superhuman things. You could make the same case for video games that sanitize killing with no consequences.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:48 pm
@warmoviebuff,
All solid and reasonable answers warmoviebuff. Welcome to a2k. Glad you stopped by.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Can war movies serve a purpose?

I. Pro-war
Films:
A. Can nationalistic classic style war movies have a purpose beyond recruiting future soldiers for the military?
B. Is there room for this generation's version of John Wayne in Hollywood?

II. Antiwar
Films:
A. Do antiwar movies lead to military isolationism:
War is Hell thusly I am not allowing my/our sons or daughters to serve in the military especially to fight overseas to help
those people!
?
B. Do antiwar films help people turn a blind eye to standing dictatorships or potential genocides?

III. Is there any harm in enjoying a war film for the cinematic roller coaster ride?

A. Sadly, I think pro-war rev 'em up films do seem to have an effect...

B. I doubt that anti-war films have much of an effect, except to the converted.

C. Dunno.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:06 pm
@dlowan,
I wonder which young actor could even try to himself as the next John Wayne. He would have to be very popular in the red states.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
A few months after the U.S. left Vietnam, there was a showing of All Quiet on the Western Front at my high school. Several Canadian soldiers and officers who had been in Hanoi in the final weeks were there to speak to us.

I'm not sure if that event changed my view of war or solidified it.

I read the book a couple of years later while sharing a living space with an American veteran of Vietnam who was working on the fire-bombing crews in northern Ontario. I didn't sleep a lot as a result of his constant nightmares.

I've watched the film a couple of times since.

the entire film is on this youtube user's channel (in 12 or so segments)
http://www.youtube.com/user/InspectorFoyle#p/u/20/fbArOFsXs6I

I think it should be mandatory viewing for anyone considering sending their country's young people into battle.

and then they have to go into the boxing ring

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks ehBeth for the real world anecdote. Got All Quiet on the Western Front and placed it at the number 3 position of my Netflix account. Don't plan to watch an entire movie on youtube.com.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 04:09 pm
I have seen two films about All Quiet. The original was best, I think. Also read the novel. Very good reading.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, the 1930's version is the stronger film.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 07:36 am
@ehBeth,
Can one say that Dunkirk is a survival movie one needs to keep in mind if complacency and appeasement seems to be the symptoms of present day political zeitgeist?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 07:57 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Can war movies serve a purpose?

I. Pro-war
Films:
A. Can nationalistic classic style war movies have a purpose beyond recruiting future soldiers for the military?
B. Is there room for this generation's version of John Wayne in Hollywood?

II. Antiwar
Films:
A. Do antiwar movies lead to military isolationism:
War is Hell thusly I am not allowing my/our sons or daughters to serve in the military especially to fight overseas to help
those people!
?
B. Do antiwar films help people turn a blind eye to standing dictatorships or potential genocides?

III. Is there any harm in enjoying a war film for the cinematic roller coaster ride?

A. Sadly, I think pro-war rev 'em up films do seem to have an effect...

B. I doubt that anti-war films have much of an effect, except to the converted.

C. Dunno.

Not many people here seem to be addressing the question.

War movies are no different than any other kind of movie (or any other piece of art). The producers have a point of view and employ various methods to express their point of view. You pay your $12 (I think that's close, I haven't been to a theater in a while), and you get a couple of hours of entertainment, sometimes with a message. I view a movie for the story more than for the message.

It is a little funny that people seem to be making a distinction between "good" propaganda and "bad" propaganda. You said that it was sad that pro-war "rev em up" movies have an effect.. but these movies were pretty important in getting American public support for WWII (which I think we agree was a good thing).

Again, the propaganda messages in movies cover many more topics than war. Give me a good story, and I can enjoy a movie even if I disagree with the overall message.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 09:25 am
A film strong on propaganda that I love is The Americanization of Emily. It has some good war scenes and Jim Garner spends lots of time explaining why he does not approve of war.
0 Replies