A look towards a New Year

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
For those now thinking about the coming New Year I offer the words from a clipping from some magazine, I don't now recall which one, that was given to me by my best friend at perhaps the most critical moment of my life.

In the midst of a discussion concerning how things happen, the author writes :

"...but this experience of everything happening easily seems to depend on the degree of commitment ones makes. Many successful people report that it is not until all your bridges are burned and you are completely committed that the environment supports you.

If there is any wavering, Nature wavers too.

The following passage, attributed to the German poet Goethe, describes this process:

'Until one is committed, there is hesitating, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

the moment one definitely commits oneself, Providence moves too.

All sorts of things occur to help one, that would have never otherwise occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's path all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no one could have dreamed would have come their way.''

So now I have what I refer to as Goethe moments, something good happens, that's a Goethe moment, something goes awry, I check my commitment and watch as Providence swings back into place, another Goethe moment. This past year has been hard. Next year doesn't at present look very bright, I'm speaking personally now, but I'm going to stop awhile and look at my committment and try to see it more clearly.

And I thought since I was about to begin the process I would ask you : To what are you committed now and for the year 2004?

Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:26 am
Good morning, Joe. At this point, I am committed to staying as strong as I can for those who need me, and to have a few Letty moments.
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:35 pm
Joe .....interesting thoughts. If they have brought you solace or inspiration in the past I hope they will work again for you. Smile
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:05 pm
I'm committed to life always and forever.
0 Replies