Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:47 pm
What do you guys think about kids having video games? Do your kids have them? What are your rules for them?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

boomerang

Thu 30 Dec, 2010 06:09 pm
@JessiHart,
I think video games are perfectly fine for kids. My son is allowed to play to his heart's content as long as he has all the other things he needs to get done, done. I think games are very good with improving hand/eye coordination and many small motor skills, plus I think they're a fabulous way to learn problem solving.

There are games that he's not allowed to play (Grand Theft Auto and the like) and we do use parental controls that are built into some games.
JessiHart

Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:25 pm
@boomerang,
Thank you! I agree completely! We are getting our kids DS's next month and I've had several people give me crap for it. I've heard: "Why would you do that? They don't need them." and "Your kids are so spoiled!" or "Just buy one and let them share." 1) no they don't NEED them 2) The money they are being bought with we get because of them 3) HAHAHA! Plus we have ground rules already set out for them and they already know what they are!
boomerang

Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:34 pm
@JessiHart,
I swear if every kid started liking broccoli someone would come along and claim it rots their brain and turns them into violent criminals.

When I was a kid it was the demon rock and roll and my parents caught a lot of flack for allowing us to listen to it.

Same as it ever was.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:50 am
@JessiHart,
We actually just bent this year - well I guess last year - as last Christmas we got the kids DS. The thought was as one child attends the others sports events, they have something to bring and keep them quiet or on a long car ride.

This year we got the WII - as it has only been a little over a week, we are just starting rules. For example, homework/studying/reading first. Almost can use it as reward. I also during the week after Christmas told them they had to go outside and play. I guess you just use your common sense if it seems to get out of hand.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:50 am
@boomerang,
We do the parental controls as well - and only have the "E" games.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:04 am
We've had the DS, but I think boys are more into video games than girls are -
at least my daughter got bored with it and she mostly interacts with friends
on facebook these days (maybe it's an age thing too).
0 Replies

paul22parks26

Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:34 am
@JessiHart,
video games are fine for kids, I allowed my son to play as long as he like but he should finish his homework first
0 Replies