The 'possibility' that I don't exist......?

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:22 pm
How did this question ever even come to 'be'? In other words, it should be quite 'obvious' that I exist, so why can I even rasie the question? Also, why is there this 'need' to question my existence/prove it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 17
No top replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:38 pm
Bump..................

Yes I bump my own posts because I'm cool like that.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 02:17 pm
Soooo cool........
vikorr

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:59 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JP, are you questioning whether 'I' exists, or whether the human being exists, because I don't think anyone will ever argue the human being exists...unless they believe in The Matrix, or some similar such.

I always find it amusing those who argue about 'I' or 'Self' and give their understanding generated with / from 'I' or 'Self'.

Please don't get mad at me for preventing you from being even cooler.
0 Replies

Jiggerj

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:45 pm
@JPLosman0711,
The question is not whether you exist, but whether there's a universal point
to your existence. And, the answer is no, you have no point or purpose whatsoever.

<sigh> Neither do I.

JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 08:43 pm
I find it interesting(boring) that I seem to have this persistant 'need' to run in circles of meaningless existence proving events. Whether it's metaphysical, explicitly or implicitly, I always seem to be 'proving' it in some way or another. What really baffles me is I already know I exist, but then where does this apparent 'need' to prove it over and over and over again come into play? Where did it come from? Is it all for the 'sake' of experience? For in all actuality I am literally 'perfect' in all ways and if not for this 'running in circles' I would have no experience of myself at all?
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 09:00 pm
Even cooler.....
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 10:32 pm
@Jiggerj,
The purpose of life is to figure out your own purpose.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:45 am
@JPLosman0711,
Here's a hint for you.

Knowing and proving ain't the same thing. You are "proving" your existence because that is how you get along with the rest of the people on the planet. "Knowing" is how you get along with your 'self'.

You "run in circles" trying to 'prove' your existence because you still think that the 'reflection of the world' has something to do with your Be-ing. The 'world' has nothing to do with you, Be-ing (unless you say so). The "reason" you are running in circles is because you are still looking to prove Be-ing so you can use 'proof' to 'manufacture' certainty in your life. You already know that it doesn't work that way. What was it that was said about insanity? Oh yeh, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result”.

You can "spend a lifetime" ignoring what I just said. If you do, you will 'spend' that lifetime running in circles. Stop looking outside of your 'self' for what you can 'prove' and start looking inside of your 'self' for what you 'know' and stand on that.

Whether you like it or not, or whether you do what I suggest or not, this is the only way out of 'running in circles'. When you look inside your 'self' and stand on what you 'know', you acquire certainty. When you look outside of your 'self' you live in uncertainty attempting to create certainty through 'proof'. Do you want certainty or do you want proof? You already know that you can't do both. Choose.
Quote:
I would have no experience of myself at all?

If you didn't already "have an experience of your 'self'" you wouldn't "run around in circles trying to prove" your existence, you would just 'graze' like the rest of the animals.

Already having an "experience of self" is what makes you 'human'.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:16 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

How did this question ever even come to 'be'? In other words, it should be quite 'obvious' that I exist, so why can I even rasie the question? Also, why is there this 'need' to question my existence/prove it?

Well, it is certainly logically possible that I don't exist. There was a time when I did not exist, and there will be a time when I don't. Of course, necessarily, if I exist, then I exist. But that is just an empty tautology. It is also true that necessarily if this apple exists, then this apple exists. But that does not mean that it is impossible that this apple does not exist. Does it?

Perhaps you mean something different. Something that Descartes meant when he held that "I exist" is certainly true. What he meant is that is is impossible for someone to believe that he exists and not exist. Now, that is a very different thing to claim. He is not claiming that it is impossible that I should exist. He is claiming it is impossible for someone to believe that he exists and not exist.

See the difference?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:11 pm
@JPLosman0711,
I think therefore I am, what more proof do you need. Sometimes we need to proof that we exist because how do we know, I mean we're floating around in this vast thing called a universe spinning around in this solar system, we start with ourselves then go on to our environment. We all know what it's like not to exist when we weren't born.

Oh and em bump.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 03:36 pm
@JPLosman0711,
A lot characters and events seemed to have existed in my dream last night, including a version of myself -- all manifested from the POV of the latter. Too bad they and my avatar were eventually exposed as the fantasy of a brain's electrochemical activity.
north

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:19 pm
@G H,
G H wrote:

A lot characters and events seemed to have existed in my dream last night, including a version of myself -- all manifested from the POV of the latter. Too bad they and my avatar were eventually exposed as the fantasy of a brain's electrochemical activity.

well the truth hurts
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:21 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

because the bigger picture is not there , in your I
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
@Dasein,
First of all I'd like to thank 'you' for doing your work. Also for having patience with 'me'.

Second, I now understand exactly what you're saying. When I do 'what I call thinking' it is merely 'me' communicating with my 'self' - however, unfortunately 'the transmission' becomes shrouded because I 'think' that it has to 'fit in' with other people's idea of 'life'. Therefore, I have done this for the majority of 'my transmissions' and I haven't a ******* clue who I am.

Now if you'll excuse me I have work to do.
north

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

First of all I'd like to thank 'you' for doing your work. Also for having patience with 'me'.

Second, I now understand exactly what you're saying. When I do 'what I call thinking' it is merely 'me' communicating with my 'self' - however, unfortunately 'the transmission' becomes shrouded because I 'think' that it has to 'fit in' with other people's idea of 'life'. Therefore, I have done this for the majority of 'my transmissions' and I haven't a ******* clue who I am.

Quote:
Now if you'll excuse me I have work to do.

yes I does
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@JPLosman0711,
You got it!!! Good for you. Now it is time for you to uncover who you are.
JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:17 pm
@Dasein,
Yes, and I hope you'll stay in contact with me and one day we shall have some REAL conversations.

Again, thanks for doing your work.
0 Replies