Domestic Violence in the Muslim Community

juwaria

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 01:09 pm
I am the mother of a Muslim woman who lives in Detroit MI. I live in FL and I would like to get some advise on her situation. Her husband who is a controller, is keeping her hostage - no phone, no communication with me or her family - because she told him that she no longer loves him. My daughter married this man through Islamic law when she was 15 without my consent or knowledge. This man is an African American who converted to Islam, he never mentioned to me or my daughter that he was Muslim or that he had another wife. My daughter now has 4 children from him and has tried to stay in the marriage because she loves her kids and wants to be with them. Because of this he is using the children to keep my daughter hostage and mentioned that she gives him full custody if she wants a divorce. I believe that this is a lie, if my daughter signs this custody document it will be under duress. Your advice will be appreciated. What are my rights as a mother? Please help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,602 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:41 am
As a mother, YOU have no rights. Your daughter has to make the move. But she has a large community to find resources in.

Do they attend religious meetings? Is there anyone there that she can speak to about this?

They need to go to marriage counseling - in their own community.
This is a cultural thing and they need to work this out in front of a religious leader who can help this man realize he is abusing his wife.
0 Replies