The usual suspects

lovejoy

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:39 pm
This film has me puzzled, I think the evidence shows that keyser soze is the pete poslethwaite character kobayashi, but there are conflicting bits in there.

Before I go further who do you think keyser soze is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,321 • Replies: 12
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:43 pm
@lovejoy,
Did you not watch the end?

Kevin Spacy....or uh...Verbal.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:57 pm
@2PacksAday,
Absolutely!
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:28 am
At the end a man in a trilby shoots keaton and then drops a cigarette butt and sets the whole ship ablaze.

Just a couple of seconds before verbal is shown on the dock, he isn't even on the ship.

Freeze frame man in trilby and you will see it is not verbal. Shocked

This is why I am puzzled by it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:38 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:

At the end a man in a trilby shoots keaton and then drops a cigarette butt and sets the whole ship ablaze.

Just a couple of seconds before verbal is shown on the dock, he isn't even on the ship.

Freeze frame man in trilby and you will see it is not verbal. Shocked

This is why I am puzzled by it.

I don't recall the film that well, nor do I have it in my collection, but I assure you that the Verbal Kint is Keyser Soze

Quote:
The surviving Hungarian, severely burned and hospitalized, describes to a sketch artist a man he saw during the attack that he believes is Keyser Söze: none other than Verbal Kint. But Kujan realizes the truth too late, as Verbal has already walked out, on bail, his limp suddenly gone. He uses a gold cigarette lighter similar to one Söze was seen with at the beginning of the film to light a cigarette with a steady hand, and climbs into a car driven by the character he had referred to as Kobayashi. As they drive away, Kujan desperately looks around the crowded streets for Verbal, having realized, too late, Verbal's true identity.

Wikipedia
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:32 am
Lovejoy, it doesn't seem fair that they shot the film that way, but the part you describe (Verbal "being on the dock" at the moment of the fire) was part of Verbal's lie to the investigating officer. The film was constructed by actual events in the backgrounding and action - interwoven with Verbal's story - much of which was a lie...because he was the mastermind behind the entire thing. Keyzer Soze.

Great flick, huh!
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:29 am
One of my favorite movies. It's the first time I ever saw a movie with Kevin Spacey in it and I have been a big fan of his since.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:07 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Lovejoy, it doesn't seem fair that they shot the film that way, but the part you describe (Verbal "being on the dock" at the moment of the fire) was part of Verbal's lie to the investigating officer. The film was constructed by actual events in the backgrounding and action - interwoven with Verbal's story - much of which was a lie...because he was the mastermind behind the entire thing. Keyzer Soze.

Quite correct. The entire film is just a long, convoluted shaggy dog story. Upon retrospect, not much of it makes sense.

Lash wrote:
Great flick, huh!

Great acting, to be sure.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:21 am
@Lash,
Thanks Lash, now I get it, my brain is obviously ageing faster than my 62 years probably due to a lifelong addiction to beef and Yorkshire pudding, or alchohol one or the other,

(I think it's probably the yorkshire pud) Embarrassed
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:32 pm
I think it was at the ending of the first "Scary Movie", which was mostly a parody of "Scream"....that the semi-retarded brother Doofy, who all thru the film had a limp....is shown walking away slowly losing his limp, and I believe drops the retarded act.....a homage to Keyser Soze.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqselF6nK4Y
0 Replies

tomtt2

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:24 pm
@lovejoy,
The first time Verbal meets Customs officer Kujan is in the office of Sergeant Rabin of the LAPD. This is not part of Verbal's story, but something that actually happens. My questions is, How does Verbal know Dave Kujan's name at the beginning of this meeting? Kujan doesn't appear to be wearing a uniform or other outside identification. Is this a mis-que in scripting?
Lash

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 06:03 am
@tomtt2,
He was told previous to the meeting that he'd be talking to Kujan.
tomtt2

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:27 am
@Lash,
Thanks for the clarification. This is such a convoluted movies that I finally found and downloaded the script just to go through it at my own pace to see how well it hung together. The script makes it clear that a great deal of information and dialogue died on the cutting room floor. Which may be why the movie is so effective. It is fast paced and short on character development.
It remains one of my favorite all time movies, but the script shows a much fuller story.
0 Replies