[closed]Above Average Number of A2K Disconnects

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 07:29 pm
For the last four to five days I've experienced an unusually higher number of disconnects (New Messaages Reset to Zero) from A2K while in the middle of reading the boards. It just occurred again with 900+ new messages to be read. I got to the end of the first page, clicked on page 2 and the hamster said it couldn't find any messages that fit the search criteria.

It mostly happens at times when there is more then one page of posts to read and it takes me more then five minutes to get to the next page. It's not that I've left the screen idle during that time, it just takes more then 5 minutes to read the posts on page 1 that caught my attention.

Has something changed about the idle timer or something that disconnects when a new set of ads is drawn for the new page?

I usually just shut up and deal with the inconvenience most times, but it has been unusually disruptive the last few days.

I use XP Pro, IE, AOL 8.0. Nothing has changed about my setup or the combination of programs I have running. I don't have the disconnect problem on other message boards that use similar New Posts functions. I've cleared cache, and refreshed the A2K cookie. I've experienced the problem while using AOL's browser as well as the plain vanilla IE browser.

Is there anything else to be done?

Another thing I note is that the problem does not clear up and start giving access to newer messages after the new message counter has reset to zero. I have to exit from A2K and reopen it to gain access to the newer messages.

Btw, by "disconnect" I refer to the New Message Count resetting to zero, not a detectible loss of connection from the site.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,068 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 07:34 pm
Happened to me a few months ago. Wish I an answer for you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 07:38 pm
It just happened again. It went from 18 new messages to zero new messages.

If it means anything, these are the URLs for the ads that appears on the New Posts page at the time of the reset.

http://www.burstnet.com/gifs/niutech_visitor_1_v1_468x60_063003.gif

http://view.atdmt.com/avenuea/view/brstmspg02400045ave/direct;wi.120;hi.600/014908
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:02 pm
So far I haven't been disconnected, however, yesterday I noticed my pages were moving pretty slow and I have broadband connection. It is possible for spyware to do this. No problems today at all.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:52 pm
Re: Above Average Number of A2K Disconnects
Butrflynet wrote:
For the last four to five days I've experienced an unusually higher number of disconnects (New Messaages Reset to Zero) from A2K while in the middle of reading the boards. It just occurred again with 900+ new messages to be read. I got to the end of the first page, clicked on page 2 and the hamster said it couldn't find any messages that fit the search criteria.

You are describing two separate issues here. Clicking on the next page and getting the message you decribe in your last sentence is standard phpBB behavior. The search times out and becomes invalid after a while.

But that does not reset it to zero. So that is a separate issue in which your session expires.

Quote:
It mostly happens at times when there is more then one page of posts to read and it takes me more then five minutes to get to the next page. It's not that I've left the screen idle during that time, it just takes more then 5 minutes to read the posts on page 1 that caught my attention.

That sounds like the expired search. Which is normal and has always been this way.

Quote:
Has something changed about the idle timer or something that disconnects when a new set of ads is drawn for the new page?

No

Quote:
I don't have the disconnect problem on other message boards that use similar New Posts functions.

All phpBB boards work this way. The search pages expire after a few minutes. On less busy boards this is less of an issue.

Quote:
Another thing I note is that the problem does not clear up and start giving access to newer messages after the new message counter has reset to zero. I have to exit from A2K and reopen it to gain access to the newer messages.

This is very different and I suspect that there is either something really wrong on your end (connection or puter) or that this is not an accurate observation.

Quote:
Btw, by "disconnect" I refer to the New Message Count resetting to zero, not a detectible loss of connection from the site.

Gotcha, but you are, indeed, talking about two issues. The sub pages of a search expiring is standard. What I do is simply open up all the search pages at the beginning.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:55 pm
colorbook wrote:
So far I haven't been disconnected, however, yesterday I noticed my pages were moving pretty slow and I have broadband connection. It is possible for spyware to do this. No problems today at all.

Yes, it's possible for spyware to do this. But it's much more likely that there was some other problem.

Between this site and your computer are many points of failure. Your puter can be sluggish, the line to your ISP can be sluggish, the internet backbone can be sluggish, A2K's datacenter can be experiencing latency and be sluggish or A2K's server itself might be sluggish.

These connectivity issues are almost impossible for me to solve because there are so many things that can go wrong that I do not have control over. And the user is often unable to pinpoint what the point of failure is, and I get unuseable reports.

Such is life on the net. With billions of computers all working together may things go wrong.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
Okay, we've figured out that it is two separate issues I am describing. It doesn't change the fact that moving on to page two of the New Posts list results in that "no messages meet the search critera" message and a loss of access to the unread New Posts. I haven't changed the way I read the boards and use the New Posts feature and often have 900 or more messages in the New Posts list.

No matter how much I try to meet your expectations of description and supplying details, it isn't enough or I don't use the precise technical terms in the manual to garner any sort of help in resolving the problems.

I give up.

Y'all enjoy yourselves. My best to A2K.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:24 pm
BFN,

I do not know why you are frustrated with me. You sound like you have the impression that I have a standard that I want you to reach to get help. That is not the case.

I simply can't help sometimes. This is as much of a frustration to me as it probably is to the end user.

You were very detailed and gave lots of information.

But I can't work miracles, there are literally thousands of reasons that this can happen.

Simply put I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM. I am willing to work with you and try to help but sometimes I have no control over the problem the user is experiencing.

This problem, by its nature, is hard to solve. It's hard to even begin to understand why it happens.

I try my best to support this type of problem as well but often I simply can do nothing to help, and it's not a choice I make. It's the nature of the problem.

If my earlier comment about users being unable to provide useable reports about this is what frustrated you that was not criticism of anyone. It was what I just said in another way.

This is a transitive issue with thousands of possible factors. The overwhelming majority of said factors are completly beyong my control and I cannot change this.

Several of your support requests are absolute nightmare requests. This is not because of deficiency on your end but simply because you have had the misfortune of having some of the more complex and in some cases unsolveable problems.

It's not fair to act like I am unwilling to help. Every damn time I try to help, each time with the knowlege that my efforts are likely to be futile for reasons outside of my control.

Gimme a problem I can easily solve and i will solve it. The harder ones are more frustrating for all involved because of the nature of the problem.

I never ever ask for more detail if i do not need it. If I do not immediately solve something it means I do not have enough information and am not able to solve the problem.

It happens. There are thing I do not control.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:04 pm
Ya know. I've re-read this thread and I still can't figure out what leads you to believe that I did not offer "any sort of help".

I didn't make everything right but that might not be possible for me.

If I were disinterested in helping I wouldn't bother. Fact is, I am interested and if you are frustrated with a technical issue related to this site you can bet the farm that I am just as frustrated while trying to solve it.

Technical problems are like riddles, with thousands of possible answers. The "search reset to zero" problem is the single most frustrating problem I face. It's because most of the time it's not possible or practical for me to obtain enough information to begin to understand the issue.

And even if I could understand it it is sometimes something I have no control over.

You had other problems with ads before. That is another one of the "nightmare" support issues that are frustrating to solve as well.

I understand you being frustrated with not getting problems solved but think it's unfair to say that I do not try to help. That's not true. The support on able2Know is far superior to most commercial support.

This is a problem that is almost always on the ISP/user end and if this were a commercial support line you'd get the "go talk to your ISP" brush off.

The fact is that I DO try. And when I mention that there are two issues being mixed it is only because if you are confusing something we can't solve this.

This is a problem I can't solve without incredible amounts of difficult-to-gather information. Confusion on the user-end is a huge complicating factor and I was not dismissing your problem. I was separating the problem from standard behavior because I wanted to solve this as much as you did.

I've spent over an hour thinking about this now. It's damn frustrating to try to help and be accused of not helping at all just because the problem was not solved.

You say nothing has changed, I say nothing has changed.

Wanna know what might have changed? AOL. AOL might be rotating your IPs in a wider range and causing session issues.

That's something I can't know without your help and is something I can't change.

I'm marking this topic "closed" because I'm not sure if you will be back and I need to keep track of what is and is not an addressed issue and can't leave open ones (because of the commitment to not do so). But not solving it is more frustrating for me than it is to you. And doubly so since it's not my fault and you accuse me of not providing any help.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:14 pm
Butrflynet - I do hope this was but a moment of frustration and misunderstanding - we would all miss you terribly if you went. I sort of feel like I ought not to say anything here, cos it is between you and Craven, but (always a but, no? lol) I do have personal experience of how hard Craven tries to fix anyone's tech problems (as I know you try to do as well) - (and believe me, as a proud techno-phobe, I do NOT ask for help as eloquently and fully as you do - mine are "the thingy on the whatsit" sorts of requests) - and I have also been aware of him very generously spending ages and ages trying to track down glitches for people. I think it is this very dedication that might sometimes lead to a frustrated tone from Craven, which you might have seen as directed at you.

Anyways, I am so butting the hell out!!!!!!!!

I do hope we see you soon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
Me, too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
Me three.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 09:40 pm
I have had similar problems but they are transitory. I tend to think it has something to do with my server, a server that receives much scorn locally. Butryflynet and I live a few hundred miles apart, who knows, it might be some one of the servers on a route that both our servers pass, whatever the right words are for that.

To be more clear, it is that my New Posts sometimes goes back to 5, or 17, fairly often on a given afternoon, for no apparent reason. I never have that timeout situation BFN described.

I realize the topic is marked closed and that my comment doesn't really help, I'm just reporting a hunch. If it every becomes a longer lived phenomenon I'll bring it up again.

I think Craven breaks his neck being helpful all the time And also want Butryflynet to stay.
0 Replies