Pipeline to prison?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:19 am

I believe that if u asked an ordinary, average 12 year old
or an 8 year old if he considers robbery or murder
to be an acceptable way of raising money,
he 'd say something like: " r u nuts??? Of course not."

His capacity to perceive the evil of robbery or murder is not diminished, in reality.
It is diminished only in legal theory, regardless of the neurological difference.

Think of it this way:
when babies r playing together with toys
and the stronger one robs a weaker one of his toy,
the victim KNOWS that the robbery was rong
tho he might not have much of a vocabulary in which to complain about it. Yes or no ??

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:39 am
@BillRM,
David wrote:
The 10th Amendment provides that the federal government
has no power other that what was granted to it in the Constitution.
BillRM wrote:
During the life times of our founding fathers a large loophole were created in that limitation as the government not only have the powers granted expressly to it under the constitution but any others powers needed to achieves those goals.
That was not a loophole; it was within the text of the Constitution of 1787, to wit:
The Founders wrote:
". . . To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers,
and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States,
or in any Department or Officer thereof. [See US Constitution Article 1 Section 8.]

BillRM wrote:
Such as chartering companies under the Federal government or creating a national bank.
Is that included within what was intended in Article 1 Section 8? Reasonable minds might disagree.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:38 am
@Thomas,
But you've got the problem that those who abstain from hiking in the mountains because of the possibility of landslides are therefore not mountain hikers, and those who abstain from crime because they might be caught are therefore not criminals. The point is that people with criminal intent are likely not so deterred--which is Nietzsche's point. The hiker in the mountains, that was his analogy, not mine.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

boomerang wrote:

Yes I knew right from wrong.

But knowing right from wrong doesn't always stop you from making bad decisions,
especially in one's teenage years. Adolescence is a form of diminished capacity.
That is the reason that adults commit felonious crimes.

David
I would argue that the knowing is the decision, that is: judgement, and for this reason Knowledge is Virtue... Let me put it another way: People make moral choices out of their understanding which can be reduced to knowledge...Of course, understanding is not simply knowledge in a rational sense, but of ones emotional connectedness with reality and humanity...
0 Replies

dogdog

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 11:01 pm
@boomerang,
I've seen this and similar scenarios repeatedly:

Child enters middle school and still can't read. Has an IEP for a so-called "learning disability." Every few months another standardized test reminds child of shortcomings. Daily experience in class reminds child of shortcomings. Child is pissed. Writes on walls. Clowns around. Fails classes on purpose because there is more perceived honor in blowing off school than trying but failing. Turns to drugs to numb feelings of low self-worth or just for adventure. Gets busted. Gets expelled. Turns to gangs (if hasn't already). Ends up in prison.

Studies have shown that a disproportionate percentage of inmates were in special education as children. Gangs are known to target students who struggle in school. The article is a breath of fresh air. At least someone is acknowledging it.
boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:44 am
@dogdog,
Hi dogdog and welcome to A2K!

I agree that its good that its being acknowledged. Maybe it'll change something in 100 years.

It seems to me that if we took a fraction of the money we spend on policing and locking people up and dumped that money into education it would be a win-win.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:44 am
@dogdog,
One of my kids has a so called learning disability and I am certain I have as well... It does not mean I can't learn, and it does not mean she can't learn... But the fact that she is home schooled means the schools could be doing one hell of a lot more to see kids like her do not fall by the wayside in life... Little bastard kids, and in her case the blacks were the worst, gave her a very hard time and a lot of serious abuse before it blew up into something larger for which she took all the heat...

You can't tell a kid that most of the people giving **** are going to be taking **** all of their lives... Why should she let people without a future ruin hers... It was because they could talk circles around her and would physically push her around, dare her to fight back, steal her ****, make her spill her ****...

I got your so called learning disabilities, and I am going to trump it with an I Know Why kids go to school to shoot them up... There is damned little education for the level of harassment people have to endure... Teachers don't want more work, and even with an iep they won't do the extra work required... You could nuke my whole school system as far as I am concerned... They are a law unto themselves, and they do not begin to earn the taxes I pay for them..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
Holy crap. Pat Robertson weighs in and I agree with him.....

0 Replies