Pipeline to prison?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Here again, the failure of teachers and administrators to create a disciplined environment of learning where progress and success can be clearly measured, and is demanded, has led to this cop out
No, it is because we Americans can always be counted on to go to the quick and easy "solution".....we believe that any problem can be fixed by popping a pill, writting a policy and then passing it out, passing a law, changing the numbers.......

Any solution that requires actual work or trusting other people is off of the table from the get-go.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Here again, the failure of teachers and administrators to create a disciplined environment of learning where progress and success can be clearly measured, and is demanded, has led to this cop out
No, it is because we Americans can always be counted on to go to the quick and easy "solution".....we believe that any problem can be fixed by popping a pill, writting a policy and then passing it out, passing a law, changing the numbers.......

Any solution that requires actual work or trusting other people is off of the table from the get-go.

Well yes, external pressures from sources like parents, politicians and the media have made it very difficult for teachers and school administrators to achieve their proper goal, but this doesn't exempt them from trying nor does it exclude them from being part of the cause of underlying problem.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:39 pm
ERRATUM:

David wrote:
The 10th Amendment provides that the federal government
has no power other that what was granted to it in the Constitution.
SHOUD have said:
The 10th Amendment provides that the federal government
has no power other than what was granted to it in the Constitution.

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
We have a totally different idea of juvenile law here, since that's mainly an "educational law".

The highest possible punishment (for murder) is 10 years.

Adults between 18 and 21 can be punished according to the criminal code, when the courts consideres them ... to be adults.
On the other hand, adults up to 27 can still fall under the juvenile law ... if they are (mentally) juveniles.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 04:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Well yes, external pressures from sources like parents, politicians and the media have made it very difficult for teachers and school administrators to achieve their proper goal, but this doesn't exempt them from trying nor does it exclude them from being part of the cause of underlying problem.
good point, that I have made before....indoctrination of youth is considered one of the two easy go-to solutions for every perceived social problem (the other of course is making new law which always expands the reach of the government into the affairs of the citizens). Schools have attempted to cooperate with all those who claim the use of the schools to further their agenda, which has distroyed the education function of schools.

I think that the problem started at the top, that the University was mortally wounded by hyper expansion after WW2 because of the GI Bill, and never recovered which eventually lead to the university administrators capitulating to the student movements in 1968. Once the die was cast, once everyone noticed that educators were not willing to defend the function of education in the education system, EVERYONE put their claims onto the schools. For over thirty years the institution has been occupied by the invaders, been severely compromised, to the point that a good many educators no longer have any clue what a functioning education system looks like. High stakes testing was intended to be the fast and easy fix, which has of course failed. The only solution is to drive the occupying forces out, to return the education system to the function of educating.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Juveniles tried as adults?

Support in rare cases

Sometimes the crimes children commit are as heinous as any that can be committed by adults, and there is no reason to believe that the child can be rehabilitated or that they will not commit similar crimes upon their release. If a rapist/murderer who is 17 years, 10 months old "skate" because he is treated as a juvenile, justice has not been served and the public not properly protected.

Exactyl that seems to be the difference between the legal system in the USA and e.g. in those (European) countries which have the Roman law.
The Code PĂ©nal (1810) already had a kind of juvenile law (= less punishment until the age of 16); in Germany, we got that special law from 1871 onwards.

I do agree that there's not a big difference between 17 years and 10 months and 18 years.
I usually carry a similar discussion when caught by a speed trap.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The war on drugs? A misappropriation of the word "war", and an expensive disaster
Mandatory minimum sentences? Over reaching of the legislature into the judicial process
Three strikes and you're out laws? See above
Juveniles tried as adults? A gross violation of civilized moral principle
Zero tolerance policies in schools? Idiocy by those who don't trust other people to make decisions.
High stakes, standardized testing in schools? Occasionally required, for instance to get into law school, but generally a poor use of time. I am in favor of some standardized testing, but it should not determine who graduates and who does not.

The general injustice we suffer in our lives and the hopelessness often turns children into habitual criminals beyond any hope of rehabilitation... You cannot remove them from their society by sending them to prison... You only return them to their natural environment...

Honestly; you cannot brutalize a human being into becoming a brute, but the possibilities of creating a greater brute out of a lesser brute are endless, and only certain death is likely to end the process... That is what this society does... It dehumanizes people, makes them objects, gives them as little soul as objects, as little mercy, affection, or caring... Once this society has set such people that particular path to hell it does not matter what age they are whether young or ancient; because their inhumanity will express itself in pain where ever they reside...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:19 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
because their inhumanity will express itself in pain where ever they reside...
we have a solution for that, called the super max prison....the only problem is that this has a direct cost us nearly $100,000 per year per unit of inventory. With indirect cost (families losing their bread winner, pain and suffering to those who love the inmates, distroyed lives) prisons are even more expensive
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's very interesting, Walter.

Am I correct in assuming that the 10 maximum year sentence applied only to juvenile offenders? Is there such a thing as a "life" sentence in Germany?

What happens after 27?
Fido

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
because their inhumanity will express itself in pain where ever they reside...
we have a solution for that, called the super max prison....the only problem is that this cost us nearly $100,000 per year per unit of inventory.
Before law as Law; when every person made an issue of justice and honor we did not have this creation of objects, of brutes... The existence of law is synonymous with the existence of injustice and people denied justice suffer pain, and from an early age, and it ruins them, and in makes them inhuman... The idea is not to build more prisons, but to make fewer people to populate them... And what is the point anyway??? If we are going to make a production line turning perfect human beings into animals we may as well slaughter them because they will never again be turned into human beings through brutality.... And it is not just the poor I refer to here... We have presidents with as little soul as prisoners, who kill by order and never have to smell the death or taste the blood; and who never suffer a rational fear of death from those they erase... There is no self defense to justify their actions... They defend their positions, their privilage, or their profit... A common murder has more of my respect than those who kill for profit because they at least suffer the risk of punishment fitting their crime... Killing for profit is legal... Killing for pleasure is not.... But what do people expect besides pleasure from their profit???
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:54 pm
@boomerang,
I'm a bit plotzed by this comment, boom.

I'm probably the only one on a2k advocating for essentially free universities (probably not, but seems so, in the US), but you don't seem to get the complications of having a freeall for smarts in a lecture. You don't have to test at all to get in?

Oh, and there are tests, after.
Do you want all students to go through orals for every class?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:10 pm
I know this varies in different countries.

Mexico and Italy, far as I know.

More info?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Really, why even should someone even flunk out of college? If they have the means to pay and they aren't being all weird and dangerous, why should we care if they don't do well?

I certainly care if someone I expect to have met certain standards of education has done so - or has simply completed the program because they can't be flunked out.

From my perspective, schools at most levels are too academically lax. I want things to be more difficult for people to get academic qualifications, not less difficult.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I certainly care if someone I expect to have met certain standards of education has done so - or has simply completed the program because they can't be flunked out.

and between government financing of student financial aid and direct state support of the university we the taxpayer pick up a huge chunk of the bill, even if the student "has the means to pay". I dont want to sink my tax money into students who are not up the the job, or who dont care enough about their schooling to apply themselves. Certainly by the time they reach university we can expect citizens to sink or swim....That we will cut out the coddling and pandering to self esteem by refusing to measure students that has now infected even our high schools. We have to draw the line someplace, and some time in their lives people need to either produce or face the fact that they are not.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:32 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Honestly; you cannot brutalize a human being into becoming a brute, but the possibilities of creating a greater brute out of a lesser brute are endless, and only certain death is likely to end the process... That is what this society does... It dehumanizes people, makes them objects, gives them as little soul as objects, as little mercy, affection, or caring... Once this society has set such people that particular path to hell it does not matter what age they are whether young or ancient; because their inhumanity will express itself in pain where ever they reside...

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

How is brutalizing a human being into becoming a brute different from dehumanizing people, making them objects with little soul mercy affection or caring (sounds like a brute)?

According to you the former can't be done but the latter is constantly being done.

I aso don't get your point?

Are you suggesting that habitual criminals should not be imprisoned, but put to death?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:47 pm
@ehBeth,
So college is for pay? (not to beth, but boomer - well, I suppose it is, another subject off of my radar).

I posted some years ago that I'd like to see people ramped up for university work, though I probably said college... by means of tutoring.

I'm no fan of feathering college/university.

I'd had some friends at the main uni in mexico in the early seventies that described getting a seat in the aisle in dental school.. I don't know, I wasn't there.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:50 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Before law as Law; when every person made an issue of justice and honor we did not have this creation of objects, of brutes...

When was this golden age?

The existence of law is synonymous with the existence of injustice and people denied justice suffer pain, and from an early age, and it ruins them, and in makes them inhuman...

How is the existence of law the same as the existence of injustice. The concepts of justice and injustice are not dependent upon the existence of laws. Again, not following your point.

The idea is not to build more prisons, but to make fewer people to populate them... And what is the point anyway???

If we are going to make a production line turning perfect human beings into animals we may as well slaughter them because they will never again be turned into human beings through brutality....

I am unclear as to what you believe the "production line to be:" growing up in our scociety or our penal system?

If it the latter, it's hardly the case that perfect human being are being put on the production line (incarcerated in our prisons).

If its the former, your analogy fails because while every person born into our society may be a perfect human being (although this can easily disputed) they don't all come out at the end of the line as inhumans.

Clearly you are equating incarceration with brutalization, and I don't necessarily disagree or argue that in such an environment rehabilitation is possible, but if life in our society is dehumanizing the entire population, what hope can there be for it to provide an environment for the rehabilitation of criminals?

Perhaps when you can figure out how to construct a perfect environment for criminal rehabilitation, you can move everyone in there too and we won't have to worry about new criminals coming off the production line.

And it is not just the poor I refer to here... We have presidents with as little soul as prisoners, who kill by order and never have to smell the death or taste the blood; and who never suffer a rational fear of death from those they erase... There is no self defense to justify their actions... They defend their positions, their privilage, or their profit... A common murder has more of my respect than those who kill for profit because they at least suffer the risk of punishment fitting their crime... Killing for profit is legal... Killing for pleasure is not.... But what do people expect besides pleasure from their profit???

This just sound like you've taken a ride on the hopeless cynic train.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I see I have been unclear. I think all who qualify should get into a good university. I had a small sniff of that, myself.

In my time, it was sans tuition for all who were accepted, UCLA - tuition hadn't happened yet.

I wish that for all.

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm saying that if someone wants to spend their own money on education we should let them. If they fail the courses they won't graduate and they won't get the degree. So if you want to make sure the people you are dealing with have certain qualifications you make sure they have a degree.

How does a person spending their money on education hurt you?
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
I went to private schools and paid my own way. The taxpayers didn't help me at all. So if I had wanted to slack off but stay in school who would it have hurt, besides me?
0 Replies