0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
@boomerang,
How will you check that? with a test?
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I wish that for all too but since we don't have that I don't see why people can't spend their own money on education if they want to.

I just looked up the tuition for the college down the street from my house $41,200 per year, dormitory housing runs another $10,650 a year, so $51,850 per year for tuition, room and board. When you include books and other expenses you're looking at probably $60,000 for 9 months.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:18 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm saying that if someone wants to spend their own money on education we should let them. h If they fail the courses they won't graduate and they won't get the degree. So if you want to make sure the people you are dealing withave certain qualifications you make sure they have a degree.

How does a person spending their money on education hurt you?

People can audit courses. Easy enough. That option is pretty much always available at the university level.

So how do they fail courses without taking tests? Exams? I'm not a wild fan of orals as so much of that is based on personality. Papers? again, I'm not a big fan - too easy to cheat on.

Tests and exams where it's only the person being assessed are my preference - particularly at more advanced levels.

People spending their money on education doesn't hurt me - but it does waste resources in some cases, when there are only a limited number of spaces available in a particular setting. I want the best, most qualified, people in those spots. If there is space for an auditor, that's fine, but I don't want them taking a viable students spot.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose you could ask them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:22 pm
@boomerang,
You don't get to seem to have a clue to managing a university. I don't either.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I never said that the teacher shouldn't test their students.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not trying to manage a university.

I'm saying if I want to spend $60,000 a year of my own money to sit in class why should that be a problem for anyone.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:32 pm
@boomerang,
60,000 a year to sit in a class?

Tell me more. You're trying to torture me, right?
Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
The war on drugs?

Is over. Drugs won. Pretending that it isn't and they haven't is a Bad idea.

boomerang wrote:
Mandatory minimum sentences?
Three strikes and you're out laws?

Bad idea. No First-World country imprisons as large a share of its population as the Land Of The Free (TM). And judging by crime rates, the deterrent effect is minimal.

boomerang wrote:
Juveniles tried as adults?

Bad idea. Juveniles are not adults. To try them as adults may serve some people's revenge fantasies, but not any goal of deterring crime.

boomerang wrote:
Zero tolerance policies in schools?

Bad idea. Leads to absurdities like schools suspending children for pointing a chicken drumstick at lunch and saying "Pow! Pow!"

boomerang wrote:
High stakes, standardized testing in schools?

Tends to shift efforts from genuine learning to mindless cramming for multiple-choice tests, of which schools already administer too many.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Remember, I'm the one who is pro non tuition universites, over years here.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:38 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm saying if I want to spend $60,000 a year of my own money to sit in class why should that be a problem for anyone.

There shouldn't be, and if you don't care what grades you get or whether or not you get a diploma, you don't have to take any of the tests.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's my point exactly.

I'm not really doing this. I don't have that kind of money. When I was in college I worked hard and made good grades.

But I certainly knew a lot of kids who had that kind of money and they liked being in college but they didn't want to work at it. They just wanted to learn some stuff, "professional students" we called them.

There are a lot worse things to spend your money on. Right?

I went to one school that didn't test although some of the classes required "practicals" where you had to show the teacher what you did over the semester. That might be particular to art schools.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

boomerang wrote:

There shouldn't be, and if you don't care what grades you get or whether or not you get a diploma, you don't have to take any of the tests.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:57 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm saying if I want to spend $60,000 a year of my own money
to sit in class why should that be a problem for anyone.
WELL SAID!

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:58 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Bad idea. Juveniles are not adults.

Absolutely they aren't! Thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 09:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're right.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:03 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
But I certainly knew a lot of kids who had that kind of money and they liked being in college but they didn't want to work at it. They just wanted to learn some stuff, "professional students" we called them.

There are a lot worse things to spend your money on. Right?

so long as they are not getting any tax supported Financial aid, nor aid from the school, nor are getting loans that they will never be able to pay back thus will default on, and are going to a private college....then fine, as it really is only their own money that they are wasting. However, rarely is this the situation.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not sure where you said that, but if you think your sixty thousand spent matters, you can fly a kite.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's much more common than you think.

There are some filthy rich kids out there.
0 Replies