Purpose of the Artisans

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:35 pm
I am having trouble evaluating this quote dealing with the Artisans. Can someone lend me a helping hand?

"To free Greeks the work of the artisan was not that of creating forms, but that of utilizing pre-existing ones, whether supernatural or natural, in a way that could never give them their full and final due. The artisans, because they were engaged in the vagaries of materials and conditions, were caught up in a world of change and uncertainty. Theirs was a world where true knowledge of forms could not penetrate, and where such forms as were operative were pale shadows of perfect and eternal ones. And because they were concerned with instrumentalities or means, they were thought incapable of a full measure of the immediate delight that accompanies knowledge of ends."

-Larry Hickman "Deweys Pragmatic Technology"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 01:17 am
@pacino12,
The implication is that artisans are to "Platonic Forms" as (common) builders are to the visions of architects.
I suggest you read up on Rorty's use of Dewey to attack the concept of "true knowledge" and "eternal forms". All your recent posts (homework ?) have been about ancient Greek paradigms. Rorty evaluates and deconstructs them in "Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature"1979.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rorty/
0 Replies