Quote Interpretation

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 04:32 pm
Hey everyone, I found this quote in one of my readings today and It has been mind-boggling me with interpretations all day long. Anybody want to take a stab at it?................. "...science is incapable of evaluating anything, including science. People say: "Science is wonderful," but science is incapable of saying "science is wonderful." That’s rhetoric by the scientific standard, and therefore is unreasonable.

-Stanley Rosens rephrasing of Socrates retelling, In the Phaedo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 926 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 05:49 pm
@pacino12,
Quote:
science is incapable of evaluating anything, including science.

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but the meaning seems clear to me: that "ethical values" cannot be subject to the hypothetico-deductive methods of science since ethics requires socially negotiated value judgements. Taking the single example of eugenics illustrates the point. i.e. there may be "scientific indications" that the selective breeding of humans may eliminate various diseases etc, but WW2 was fought partially on the grounds of putting a stop to the Nazi regime's pursuit of such a principle.

As a footnote, we might bear in mind that Kant attempted a "scientific approach" (i.e. the application of logic/reason) to ethics with his advocating of "the categorical imperative", and although influential, it remains debatable.
0 Replies