Memory Problems

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:19 pm
Has anyone ever had memory problems after watching a movie? I've always had this problem, which in the end, becomes mostly annoying as a define "watching" a movie, a waste of time. In the likely, whenever I watch a movie, I always ALWAYS forget what the movie is? Is it a lack of focus? Even after several viewings of 10 things I hate about You, I still cannot recall as vivid as some people can after only a SINGLE viewing. It is quite the mystery that beholds my brain. On the other hand, I can remember some things VERY well. For example, I have memorized the digits of PI to about 160 digits (3.14159...). But for the life of me, I have the hardest time remembering what happens in a movie. Does anyone know if this is a medical problem? Most of my family can tell what the movie was about, but I just fail to regurgitate the plot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,262 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:33 pm
Sounds to me like you just have trouble remembering worthless crap, which after all is what most movies are these days. If this is the only memory problem you have, and you are still able to work/study/earn a living, then I wouldn't worry about it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:35 pm
I'm slightly better at remembering movies than you are but not by much.

Like you I have little problem remembering techincal details (I can recall anything you'd care to know about programming a Cisco router or ATM switch) and can retain specifics for years and even decades. But I'll go to rent movies and end up picking up the same movie I rented last weekend.

I watch movies for entertainment only. Once it ends that's it. It's done. I have a terrible time with movie names and remembering who was in what movie. I have a similar thing with novels.

There IS a medical condition that is related to ADD that covers the lack of short term memory but to my knowledge it works across the board. That may be a part of what you describe but I've always just attributed it (in my case) to a different "tuning" of the brain.

If what I'm watching is technical then It seems to register as "important" and is committed to memory. If it's non-technical then I can sort of just let it go.. *shrugs*
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:57 pm
I think my 'tuning' is a bit different as well. I've often gotten home with a book that I've read before. It's discouraging, but since I've forgotten so much, I'll go ahead and read it again.

Hey, make yourself at home here, amph1bius.
0 Replies

amph1bius

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:49 pm
thanks for all your informative replies and implied supports! I just finished watching Anything Else, the movie of course. And as a test, i tried to recall what happened in the film, and you could bet on it, i forgot the whole movie! then i did my search on google about memory problems, and there was a link to an entry on this board. wonderful.. never knew they had such boards that are actually worth reading! hope to get to know you all better!
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 12:14 am
amph1bius, I agree with wilso, could be your brain does not retain this movie stuff because your brain considers it not necessary to remember.

It is kinda like reading. I read and often forget the story. This was addressed in school that you have to focus/retain what you read.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:23 am
Quote:
I watch movies for entertainment only. Once it ends that's it. It's done. I have a terrible time with movie names and remembering who was in what movie.

Ditto.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 07:46 am
I think that, barring a neurological problem, one tends to remember what is important to them. I find that there are certain things that I remember in great detail, and others that I simply cannot retain.

I happen to be a fan of Law & Order. I will watch them on reruns. Sometimes my husband will walk in and say, "Are you watching THAT one again?" He will then ruin it for me by telling me what happened in that particular episode.

There are times that I have a vague recollection of the story, but cannot remember what has happened, and whether the perp was aquitted or convicted. There are others that I remember after the first few sentences are spoken.

I just don't worry about it!
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:36 am
I also have this memory problem.
On the other hand, I have known prople, women mostly, who when asked "what is the movie about," reply, . . . . ...

"Well, it starts with this guy getting ready to go to work. He's dressed in a suit, sort of a dark gray, and carries a brown briefcase. He gets in his big luxury car and we see hiim driving on a congested freeway . . . . . ."

An hour later, she finishes and I ask, again, but what's it's about? She says. "Well, I just told you."

She knows all the details but hasn't a clue about the theme and meaning of the movie.

Anyone else know these detailers?
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:51 am
Thank goodness it's not just me. I enjoy movies and reading, but am often clueless when pressed for specifics! Strange too, because my work is very detail oriented and I don't have a problem there...or do I??? Confused Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
kirsten- The answer for you seems very obvious. In your work you need to pay strict attention, so that you catch all the details. When you relax, and watch a movie or read a book, you want to just chill out, and enjoy, so you don't fuss with the minutiae!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:45 am
Methinks Kirsten may just have forgotten whether she is actually getting everything at work or not. Wink
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:21 am
Since the advent of internet access at work, and the availability of fine diversions such as A2K, I'm sure my focus at work has been impacted. Lord knows I've got "matters of consequence" I should be tending to as I type this!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
kirsten- True. But a happy employee is a productive employee. Keep posting! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 02:33 pm
I want to say I would subject you to watching "Memento" but unlike film, you can't run it backwards.

I have said elsewhere that I had to watch "Adaptation" twice before I could appreciate the subtle nuances and pick up on what lead up to the providence of the climax in the film. Same thing with "Magnolia" and other films. "Angels in America" on HBO was far more enjoyable and I got more out of it watching again Chapter by Chapter rather than a marathon three hours! Ditto "Carnivale."

Just watched "Rififi" for the fourth time last night and got a lot more out of the film, especially appreciating the half-hour of silence of the actual heist!
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:42 pm
I also have problems with my memory, Iam Terrible with names! I often forget peoples names who iam in constant contact with, yet i can still ramble off names and figures of aircraft and other areas iam interested in. and i can kick butt at trivial pursiut. I have been diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders but becasue i used to have epilepsy Iam unable to take any medication to help. Becasue i would actually like to get some education and pass classes in college I have been doing some study on memory. You've probably heard it before but your brain is like a muscle, and muscles will not grow at all if your dont force them to do more work than they are used to. Here is a link to a very interesting short biography of a newzealander, i found it to be quite inspirational http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/aitken.html so if improving your memory is important to you, get ready to do some hard work, kinda like going to the gym for your brain. next time you watch a film consentrate on trying to remember certain parts, make it like a game and soon it will just become part of your natural thinking. Good Luck!
0 Replies

amph1bius

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:21 pm
I don't think I have ADD, moreover, I think its a term created by the human society to clinically categorize people who don't want to learn. I may be wrong, which I am fully aware of that, but that's my opinion. I have been pushing my mental muscles to the max. 707 digits by Aitken, I'll try for a thousand Smile
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
I find that when I watch a movie a 2nd time I find things I missed the 1st time. The more times I see a movie the more I realize I missed things. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

amph1bius

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
Also, does anyone have any problems remembering what they're reading? It happens alot to me. I'll read a book, and i find it very interesting, but a few weeks following, I won't have a clue what the book was about. Could it be some sort of adolescent prognosis of future alzhiemers?
0 Replies