Have you adopted another Father?

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:00 am
When we are young and Oh so small it was so comforting to walk besides one's father. Your tiny hand reaches up and is held so firmly by this giant next to you. The sense of security and total protection is over whelming.
When we get older we do not love him any less but we realize he is just a man trying to do his best.

Is God not just a replacement? Belief gives us back the sense of security and protection we miss so much. Deep down we know it is not true, our imaginary father cannot holds hands with 6.8 billion people at the same time but we so want it to be true.
So millions sink into this dream that is so much easer than taking responsibility for one's life and making your own decisions.

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:57 am
@Lionel2404,
Give that the god/father of the old testament at least is about as evil as evil could be I see little security gain by believing in him.

Of course a surprising large percents of the true believers had not read the bible in any details.
dogdog

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:48 pm
My father scared the crap out of me (I felt more secure when he wasn't around), and then I was told God would send me to hell if I didn't respect him. So...your theory doesn't quite work for me. If anything, it would be an exact corollary.
0 Replies

Die Vrou 1

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@BillRM,
Hi

Do you thing that the Creator of all creation is good?

Die Vrou 1
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:47 am
@Lionel2404,
Lionel2404 wrote:

When we are young and Oh so small it was so comforting to walk besides one's father. Your tiny hand reaches up and is held so firmly by this giant next to you. The sense of security and total protection is over whelming.
When we get older we do not love him any less but we realize he is just a man trying to do his best.

Is God not just a replacement? Belief gives us back the sense of security and protection we miss so much. Deep down we know it is not true, our imaginary father cannot holds hands with 6.8 billion people at the same time but we so want it to be true.
So millions sink into this dream that is so much easer than taking responsibility for one's life and making your own decisions.
Speak for yourself, please. I am not included in that "we know it is not true.........." I want to know what makes you think I don't take responsibility for my life or my own decisions. A great deal of what believing about is acting on that belief and taking responsibility for your own actions and doing right and in order to do that you have to make choices. If you do not believe, then you do not believe. I do believe and I truly wish you would refrain from deciding for me and other believers what we know and and what we don't know.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:52 am
@Die Vrou 1,
Quote:
Do you thing that the Creator of all creation is good?

In human terms if such exist he might be good or he might be pure evil or completely apart from such human concepts.

The old testimony god in almost pure evil in human terms.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:13 pm
@BillRM,
I't s Old Testament and not testimony. You know Bill, there are people on A2K who have made statements along the lines of "all Christians should be exterminated." Isn't that something? Now, how does that make them any different than the God they seem to think is so evil?
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:48 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
You know Bill, there are people on A2K who have made statements along the lines of "all Christians should be exterminated." Isn't that something?

The world would indeed be a far far better and safer place if the religion of Christianity along with similar faiths would indeed be wiped off the face of the earth however I question if anyone who stated such on this website was implying that be done by killing Christians or other members of similar faiths instead of getting them or their children to see world in a more sane manner!!!!!!!!!

The sword is the tool of Christians far more then it is the tool of atheists and even the Muslims are ban from trying to convert Christians and Jews by means of the sword.

Christians had a long history of making the old testament god proud of them by killing whole people in the name of the old man son.

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 02:09 pm
@BillRM,
I don't lie. There have been those that have said something to the effect of "Christians should be exterminated". My point was, those very same people are the ones that call God evil for exterminating people like the Midianites who threw their children into the fires of Molech. I am not saying a lot of people have said something along those lines. Actually, I can only think of two who have said something and trust me, they weren't joking.

We are under grace and not under the law (like the OT). We are to love others, not take a sword to them. That changed with Christ's sacrifice. Why is it that you will believe what the OT says but not the New Testament? You obviously don't agree with the way God did things in the OT but seem to ignore that it's different in the NT and God is not doing things the same. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Seems like in the NT God is acting more like YOU think he should but you ignore it.

BTW, you can't wipe Christianity or any other faith off the face of the earth unless you wipe the believers in that faith off the earth and you would have to do that on a continual basis because unless you wipe them all out at one fell swoop and no one ever heard of the beliefs again, you nor anyone else will rid this world of anyone's beliefs. So, if you ask me, sounds like you and those of you that feel that way are a bit hypocritical thinking God is evil for doing what He did. Just my opinion.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
BTW, you can't wipe Christianity or any other faith off the face of the earth unless you wipe the believers in that faith off the earth

So AM all the Greeks who was believers in Zeus was wiped off the face of the earth or the Romans who was believers in Jupiter was wiped off the earth instead of converting to Christianity? True at times you charming people used the sword tip to help the conversion along but there was no mass killings.

So yes indeed faiths had been wiped off the face of the earth without the need to wipe the former members off the earth.

In Europe Christianity is in the process of dying out with out the need to go around killing Christians.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:36 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, unless you kill off every person that believes, knows about the beliefs, get rid of everything that says a thing about beliefs, etc., you nor anyone else can get rid of it completely. I don't know what you mean by the instead of converting to Christianity comment. I was only telling you it's impossible to completely rid this world of religious beliefs, no matter what religious beliefs they are. I certainly was not advocating it. You missed the point completely. YOU think that religion should be let's say eradicated but you CAN'T do it. Why would you want to? You don't believe everyone has a right to freedom of religion?

I am not the one that wants to rid the world of anyone so please don't include me in your sarcastic remark about "you charming people used the sword."

Name one single belief that has been totally wiped out? You can't because if you know about it then it obviously hasn't been wiped out. Now do you understand what I meant?
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:41 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Name one single belief that has been totally wiped out? You can't because if you know about it then it obviously hasn't been wiped out. Now do you understand what I meant?

Would you like to find me someone who is a believer in Zeus and his sub-gods AM?

Might be a few on earth outside of a mental hospital now your job is finding them AM as you claim they still exist.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:47 pm
@BillRM,
Finding someone who believes in Zeus and the sub-gods is a snap. I can find you someone who is a believer in Zeus, sub-gods and nearly anything else out there. Try visiting a Christian chatroom. You will hear it all. There are wiccans, witches, coptics, gnostics, atheists, angelists, you name it, you'll find it. There will always be someone in this world that is going to believe something someone else has said or believes. That is just reality, Bill.

Is that a challenge Bill? Check out a Christian Chatroom on Yahoo. Any of them. 1, 2, 3, or 4 are usually the busiest with the most diverse beliefs.

Or try this link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57361016692

Or how about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6285397.stm
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:51 pm
@Arella Mae,
Here I will even help you here is a link to the church of Zeus where is state clearly they are not a sex club.

I would and most atheists would settle for Christianity having a few such web sites where it is stated that the church of Mary Magdalene for example is not a sex club in the same manner Drunk

IE a few people playing games with an old religion and having zero impact on society.

http://bagoas.fpc.li/
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:53 pm
@BillRM,
I just provided you with three VALID sources where people do beleive in Zeus OUTSIDE OF A MENTAL HOSPITAL.

Face it, you were wrong. Big deal.

BTW, don't think I missed out you trying to go from elimating beliefs and me proving they weren't to your feeble attempt at saying they are only believed by crazies, etc. That's paraphrased.

I don't know why I try to have discussions with you. You always resort to this crap.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
just provided you with three VALID sources where people do beleive in Zeus OUTSIDE OF A MENTAL HOSPITAL.

Sorry they are people playing games for fun not believers as we both know.

With zero impact on society and that is the future of Christianity without the need of wiping out anyone.

Someday the Vatican will be a fun tourist attraction with an actor playing the Pope in a similar manner to Colonial Williamsburg does now.

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 03:59 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, you said to prove there were those that believed that were OUTSIDE OF A MENTAL HOSPITAL.

I did and you don't like it. So, as far as I am concerned the discussion is over.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 04:07 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I did and you don't like it. So, as far as I am concerned the discussion is over.

All I can say is I look forward to the day Christians are in a similar situation and such is more then close enough be being wipe from the face of the earth.

You do know that will be the fate of your religion do you not?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 04:16 pm
The beginning of the end of 2000 years of bullshit and all without killing anyone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/13/international/europe/13CHUR.html

Faith Fades Where It Once Burned Strong
By FRANK BRUNI
Published: October 13, 2003Sign In to E-Mail

Like many Italians in decades and childhoods past, Giampaolo Servadio used to go to Roman Catholic Mass every week. He even served as an altar boy.

But last Sunday morning, as church bells tolled around this city of storied cathedrals, he followed a different ritual: he went running. It struck him as a more relevant use of time.

''The church seems really out of step,'' said Mr. Servadio, 39, mentioning issues like birth control and questioning the very utility of prayer. ''I don't see how something like a confession and a few repetitions of the 'Hail Mary' are going to solve any problems.''

He wondered if he should call himself Catholic: ''When you realize that for 20 years you don't do this -- you don't even go to church -- what kind of Catholic are you?''

A fairly typical one, at least in Italy and much of Europe, where the ties of Christianity no longer bind the way they once did -- and often seem not to bind at all.

This week Pope John Paul II is to celebrate his 25th anniversary as the head of the Roman Catholic Church, which is both Europe's and Christianity's largest denomination.

It has been a quarter century of enormous changes, and few have been more significant, for his church and mainstream Protestant denominations, than the withering of the Christian faith in Europe and the shift in its center of gravity to the Southern Hemisphere.

Christianity has boomed in the developing world, competing successfully with Islam, deepening its influence and possibly finding its future there. But Europe already seems more and more like a series of tourist-trod monuments to Christianity's past. Hardly a month goes by when the pope does not publicly bemoan that fact, beseeching Europeans to rediscover the faith.

Their estrangement has deep implications, including the prospect of schisms in intercontinental churches and political frictions within and between countries.

The secularization of Europe, according to some political analysts, is one of the forces pushing it apart from the United States, where religion plays a potent role in politics and society, shaping many Americans' views of the world.

Americans are widely regarded as more comfortable with notions of good and evil, right and wrong, than Europeans, who often see such views as reckless.

In France, which is predominantly Catholic but emphatically secular, about one in 20 people attends a religious service every week, compared with about one in three in the United States.

Ads by Google
3 Free Sermons
0 Replies