Need blog/RSS capabilities on HTML web page...please help.

B-truE

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:21 pm
I would like to be able to write a daily blurb to sit in a small table area on my website that would also handle archiving as well as allow other sites to easily add my content to their sites (which would dynamically change accordingly).

I don't want to have a link that goes to a whole blog page/software, if I can help it.

I'd really like it to be a panel with the daily content, and perhaps a couple links underneath of it for archives and for syndiction.

By the way, the site is HTML.

Your help and insight are appreciated.

Thanks.

B-truE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,310 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:26 pm
Why not use a blogging service that will FTP the files to your server (assuming you don't wnat to or can't write a database driven backend)?

Then you can use PHP includes to display said text wherever you want.

E.g. You post your comments to a blog.

The blog service FTPs it to your server.

Your page is configured to call the file in an include and display it how you want.

Lastly you'd use the built in RSS blog feed.

----

I'm not really sure what you are going for. There is plenty of commercial (and some free stuff) software out there that can do this.
0 Replies

B-truE

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:38 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Why not use a blogging service that will FTP the files to your server (assuming you don't wnat to or can't write a database driven backend)?

Then you can use PHP includes to display said text wherever you want.

E.g. You post your comments to a blog.

The blog service FTPs it to your server.

Your page is configured to call the file in an include and display it how you want.

Lastly you'd use the built in RSS blog feed.

----

I'm not really sure what you are going for. There is plenty of commercial (and some free stuff) software out there that can do this.

So, I could setup a blog, and simply add that blog content to my site (like others would)?

I can't use PHP, because I would have to change the page extension from *.html to *.php. This is not an option for me at this time.

If I used something like movable type, could I simply add the content as a syndicated block to my HTML page? How are rss/xml/or whatever blogs added to the content of an HTML page? In other words, if someone has an HTML page that they want to add a section of information from someone's blog, how do they go about it?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
HTMl is not a dynamic language. You can't do many of the things you are asking about with HTML.

You could include it using inline frames or something but you need some kind of scripting language for a lot of what you want to do.

Why not spoof an html extention? If you can run PHP you can alter the server to have the PHP engine parse html files.
0 Replies

B-truE

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
HTMl is not a dynamic language. You can't do many of the things you are asking about with HTML.

You could include it using inline frames or something but you need some kind of scripting language for a lot of what you want to do.

Why not spoof an html extention? If you can run PHP you can alter the server to have the PHP engine parse html files.

If I "spoof" the html extension, I will (as I understand it) be slowing down my html pages while Apache looks them over for PHP.

3 Questions:

1 - Do you know where I can find information on how to add a syndicated blog (from someone elses' site) to a *.php page (on my site)?

2 - If I were to change my main index.html page for my website to index.php, how much would I suffer in the search engines that have me indexed as index.HTML?

3 - And, what is the best strategy for making the change (from *.html to *.php), considering there are thousands of pages that link to the index.html page (including the search engines).

Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 05:40 pm
B-truE wrote:

If I "spoof" the html extension, I will (as I understand it) be slowing down my html pages while Apache looks them over for PHP.

Yes, this is true. But you can always use an inline frame if you want pure html integration.

Quote:
1 - Do you know where I can find information on how to add a syndicated blog (from someone elses' site) to a *.php page (on my site)?

Right here. I can help you with this. What will happen is that you will have the blog FTP the content (in as plain a template as possible) and you will simply include said file into your page.

Of course each blog tool might have some help docs on this.

Quote:
2 - If I were to change my main index.html page for my website to index.php, how much would I suffer in the search engines that have me indexed as index.HTML?

If you do it right you will not suffer at all. What you want to do is a 301 redirect and that will redirect visitors AND transfer Google page rank (even links to the old file will count as backlinks).

I can teach you how to do that.

Quote:
3 - And, what is the best strategy for making the change (from *.html to *.php), considering there are thousands of pages that link to the index.html page (including the search engines).

I guess I already answered this. ;-) Just use a 301 redirect. Here is a PHP example:

Code:header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: http://www.able2know.com/newpage/newurl.htm");
exit();
0 Replies

B-truE

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 05:52 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Yes, this is true. But you can always use an inline frame if you want pure html integration.

I have little knowledge about inline frames. I'll have to find a basic tutorial on those.

Quote:
Right here. I can help you with this. What will happen is that you will have the blog FTP the content (in as plain a template as possible) and you will simply include said file into your page.

I thought a blog owner would just have some code that I would add to my site, that would pull in his/her blog.

Quote:
If you do it right you will not suffer at all. What you want to do is a 301 redirect and that will redirect visitors AND transfer Google page rank (even links to the old file will count as backlinks).

I can teach you how to do that.

I'd appreciate your help.

Quote:

I guess I already answered this. ;-) Just use a 301 redirect. Here is a PHP example:

Code:header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: http://www.able2know.com/newpage/newurl.htm");
exit();

That would move one PHP page to another PHP page, right? I need to move an *.html page to a *.php page.

I know about the meta tag "refresh," but I know that Google doesn't like that at all...

B-truE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:28 pm
If you use Apache you can give a 301 redirect from the .htaccess file.

Just add lines like the following to your .htaccess file.

Code:redirect 301 /old/page.html http://www.able2know.com/page.php

It's just a text file named .htacess See if you already have one (some ftp clients won't show it BTW) because you don't want to override it.

If you have one just add the lines at the end. The path from the domain root to the file, then the full url of the new file.

Your page rank will be unstable during the transition but if done right it will transfer.
0 Replies

blaborsen2

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:59 am
about inline frame
quite simple use something like:
Code:<iframe name="a name" src="the URL" WIDTH="pixels wide" HEIGHT="pixels height" ></iframe>

The URL=similar to something like Edit (Moderator): Link removed, donĀ“t forget the
Code:"
around URL, pixels wide and pixels height.
Hope it helps.
0 Replies